• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

dot reflective tape regulations for equipment trailer

markshr151

What are the rules for rear loading trailers? I can't find any place to put my reflective tape on my trailers with ramps and a beaver tail.

markshr151

There are situations where the equipment design prohibit following the letter of the law. I want to know some real life lessons on how this problems has been dealt with.

dporter

Occupation
landscape, project manager
That is where we installed our reflective tape, on our trailers. Under the ramps and on the frame of the ramps. Been threw many MTO inspections with no questions on the tape. This is in Ontario.

Randy88

Call the local experts [dot] and ask them where you need it so they don't fine you, get a name and contact number in case someone in the little blue cars doesn't feel the same way the one on the phone did. I'd put it below the ramps like whats already been stated, some ramps have a sloped angle to them when folded up and I have put them on the cross members so they are visible somewhat from the back, half of it is an attempt to do the right thing, if anyone complains then have them dictate where it should go, that way its official as to where they want it.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Retroreflective Sheeting:
• Alternating red/white with each color at a minimum 2” high and 6” to 18” long.
• One color cannot exceed 2/3 of the total segment.
Side Markings:
• Red/white 15” to 60” above road or as close as practicable.
• 3” from any required amber side lamp.
• Can be broken segments, but evenly distributed to cover 50% of side.
Rear Markings:
• Red/white full width at lowest possible position on rear doors, and full width on horizontal underride protector.
• 12” long strips of white sheeting positioned horizontally and vertically in upper corners.
• White sheeting must be located no closer than 3” from any required red lamp.