• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DOT is Killing Me!

Effinay

Occupation
Getting organized with my own small business
I'm new. Not only here but trying to start a second carreer in the general excavating and dirt hauling business. I'm a one truck, one trailer, one tractor kinda guy. I'm told I need to hold a current medical card and so I do. And I'm ok with that, no big deal. My problem is with obtaining/maintaining compliance with the DOT. I applied for my number, that was a couple hundred bucks. Next I've got to be on "probation for 18 months and in the meantime prepare myself for an unannounced inspection and audit, to the tune of 169 bucks. Two days ago, I get a letter demanding I sign up for a drug and alcohol awareness program at the introductory price of 99 bucks, which they, the DOT iI suspect, have been authorized to raise the price to 149 bucks at their discretion. Failure to follow these orders will result in revocation of my DOT number and disable me from moving my equipment from my yard. This is starting to feel a bit like extortion to me. It seems as though the DOT has been authorized to just keep reaching into your pocket whenever they like and take whatever they want. Is there no end to this? Is there some guide book that I didn't get that outlines all this?? How dare I try to start a business.....

Randy88

Are you staying in your state or crossing state lines? As for the dot reaching into your back pocket, get used to it, that random drug testing you have to sign up for, is only the start, there are fourth quarters a year they draw your name from a pool, if your name is drawn, you pay to have your sampling done, to me it costs me, since I own my business, 200 each time, the first year I was pulled all four times, plus the pre inspection and have been drawn at least three times every year since, or been in the pools for 15 years now, do the math to compute the costs. Keep up on new laws passed every year, since thats what they write tickets off of, any new change costs the company or owner more dollars in fines if your unaware of them, keep your paperwork up to date and in the truck, the list is truly endless of what you need to know and have, also keep accurate files and records back home as well, in case your audited, now are you running apportioned plates on your truck or trailers? If so you'll need to account for every mile put on them in a milage log book somewhere, in case of an audit. Don't worry, you'll be educated as you go, either by reading and sitting in on educational meetings or by paying the fines, anyhow welcome to the forum.