• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DOT INSPECTIONS - insane

PROCUT1

Around here you cant seem to go 100 feet anymore without getting stopped. The state police are all over doing mobile DOT stops. They have their regular checkpoints that used to only be open a couple times a month, are now open just about everyday.

Theyre out at night which a couple years ago was unheard of. Also MANY local police departments sent officers to DOT school and have their own inspection units set up.

Its common to be pulled over 3 or 4 times in a day for an inspection by different agencies or troopers.

This is not about safety. Having been in emergency services for years as well as towing, an accident caused by an "unsafe truck" was a rare occurrence.

Yes, it did happen. But I can count on maybe two hands the number of times Ive seen it in 10 or more years, and Im at a major hub for trucking.

Some may say its because DOT is doing their job. But I would think if that were the case, there would have been a lot more accidents years ago when I never even heard of DOT.

Heck, the first time I was pulled over for a DOT inspection maybe 5 years ago, I didnt even know what one was. I kept asking why I was pulled over, I wasnt speeding or anything. He said "inspection" I said "Just had it done, look at the sticker" I was completely puzzled looking at a state trooper in overalls on a creeper under my little dump truck.

This has very little to do with safety. You can inspect a brand new truck and write a ticket for something if you want to. They might as well stand there with a cash register instead.

Its a direct target on small business too. Look at who they pull over and inspect.
Its all local small businesses. And its not usually junk that you see pulled in there.

I never see trucking companies in there, they get waved through. Same as any of the larger companies in the area with political power. The monster garbage company, the large developers. They get waved right by.

I am all for getting junk off the road.

Yet its frustrating for me to sit there getting my empty 2006 Ford with 20,000 miles inspected, while I watch guys with one ton dumps hauling 5 yards of topsoil towing a skidsteer drive by.

PROCUT1

Here was a fun one not too long ago that reminded me of this.

I tow part time as a backup for a couple of companies in my area.

I had a newer model, perfect condition, international flatbed from one of the companies at my house. This truck is far from a rat trap and maintained to a T.

I get an accident call from state police rotation for a one car rollover in the middle of and blocking a major intersection.

I jump in the truck to head over there. Going through the toll booth, I get flagged into the DOT stop. As soon as the trooper comes up to the truck I told him i was just dispatched by state police, and told him the nature of the call. On the rotation we have to be on scene in a maximum of 30 minutes but in reality you better be there quicker or you will have a ticked off trooper.

As it was I live 15 minutes from the scene.

Well the DOT trooper didnt care and started his full inspection.

Meanwhile state police calls my cellphone from the accident asking me my eta and to expedite as it was rush hour and traffic was blocked for miles.

I told them on the phone that I was pulled over.....But I made it sound like I was going to be there quick so they didnt cancel my call and give it to someone else.
They called 10 minutes later again, while I was still sitting there and I asked the trooper who was doing the inspection to get on the phone with the dispatcher....He refused.

I told her I would be there any minute.....Still wanted to keep the call going....

Well finally about 10 minutes later I got released from the inspection with NO VIOLATIONS.

An hour and 12 minutes from the time of dispatch I made it to the scene.

The trooper on the scene was having a fit.

Went on and on about the 30 minute rule and what a nightmare I caused.

I handed him the "inspection report" and showed the time that I was pulled over which was 6 minutes after my dispatch and less than 10 minutes from the scene.

I said....Sorry pal....Wasnt me......Talk to your fellow trooper.....

He said, I should have called and given the call to the next on the rotation.

I replied....."State police called me to do my job. Because State Police also decided to delay me from doing my job, Im not ALSO going to lose the money from the job I was asked to do and was trying to do"

The whole thing was silly. The DOT trooper could have looked at my truck for 2 minutes and saw it was fine, knowing where I was going, instead of doing the 45 minute inspection. The truck is so clean I want to take my shoes off before I get in it. If you dropped a buttered roll on the engine, you could pick it up and eat it......Come on.

PROCUT1

The whole thing has created a mess.

My boss billed the hour I sat at DOT as "standby time" which is entitled under the contract.
The vehicle owners insurance company is fighting the charge.

They wont pay the charge to release the vehicle. The owner wants the car, my boss told the insurance company to work it out with the state police. He billed exactly within the rules of the contract.

The trooper at the accident filed a complaint because of the response time.

My boss answered in writing that he wanted a meeting with the Police boss, the on scene trooper, and the DOT trooper at the same time to address the complaint.

Im out of town, so I couldnt go. But the meeting is going on right now. I wish I was there. Im dying for the boss to call me when hes done.

I took notes the entire time from start to finish. Wrote down exactly what I said to the trooper, exactly what he said to me, exactly what time I said it. Every time the dispatcher called. Every time I reminded the DOT trooper of the nightmare traffic condition. The exact time I left the house, the time of the call, the time I arrived at DOT, the time I left, the time I arrived on scene.

I had 2 pages of notes that they have in the meeting right now.

So there is going to be one of two outcomes.

Either DOT is going to use a little discretion in a future situation like this........Or Im not going to be able to drive 10 feet down the road without a trooper behind me....haha

Last edited:

j&d

Occupation
Crop & Livestock Producer
Good story. Please keep us updated on the outcome of the meeting.

I believe it has to do with the economy. Our little local newspaper has a lot of violations printed on the back page for speeding, seat belts, and you name it. Revenue is way down, cuts are being made, budgets slashed, and in turn some people are trying to save and justify their jobs by writing tickets. I don't see much DOT cause I'm in the middle of nowhere but the state troopers in this state are thick. Our governor recently announced downsizing of the state police due to budget constraints.

Hope the meeting goes well. Careful now ruffling those feathers.

Good luck
Jeff

nedly05

I feel your pain on the DOT inspections PROCUT, It must be a NY thing, you never hear too much complaining from guys in other sates. I live in a town of 1000 people, we never go out of town to work, just to get gravel and such,and I've been stopped 5 times this season. Once the inspectors go to know me,and our trucks, they have become more lenient and the last 2 times they have waved me in, but come over and told me to have a nice day. Thats a good feeling! The first three times though, they made sure I left with some sort of paperwork!

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner-Equipment & Parts Sales
Was stopped in a truck stop my PENN DOT and told me to follow him to the scales so i did. Well they hit me with a $1474 overweight ticket when in reality it was a paper overweight. You see in NY we register our truck and trailer seperate... F550 17,500 pounds...22,500 trailer... Well my total weight was like 29,000 or so and he said I was 11,500 pounds over my truck registered. :( :( WHAT? My scale ticket showed that ALL my axles were way below the ratings but still because my truck was registered like the tractor trailers combine weight I got this ticket. I explained that I was a small (small) business and couldn't afford this and the court said we can put you on a payment plan. :( So anyway $1474 later I then registered my F550 for 40,000 pounds. :) :)

Mind you after talking with NYS DOT and confirming they are correct... If a PA driver comes into NY without the trailer registered separately he gets a $300 fine. NOT even close to be fair.

Like stated I'm totally for the SAFETY part of DOT but paper like this is BS. I wouldn't complain (as bad) if I was actually over weight and un safe but come on. :)

Darin

bill onthehill

They have a rest stop on 15 south of Corning they use a lot lately. On westbound I-86 they randomly pull trucks over and have them follow them to a shopping center west of Corning so the word does not get out as quick on the radio about it. They do the same thing eastbound on I-86 and use the old Walmart parking lot just past the airport. Funny thing is I have never seen any local trash haulers stopped at any of them. They are a big outfit with political ties to Albany. They love to get guys with lawn services and small equipment on tags.

OneWelder

dariray
i am curious do you have a fifth wheel hitch ?- when does fifth wheel go from pick up to tractor trailer? does this mean you reg trk . for wight , and do not have to reg. trailer for wight ?

lars

Onewelder,

You are correct that you register the truck for weight and not the trailer in PA. So when registering a truck in PA you want to register it at your GCWR, not your GVWR if you plan on pulling a trailer. All the registration cost is in the truck - you can register a trailer permanently for around $200.

There is a catch - this kicks in when the trailer rated at 10,001# or more. If the trailer is 10k or less, you only have to register the truck GVWR. This is regardless of trailer type - you can find a few 10k goosenecks out there for those wanting to keep costs down.

nedly05

You would think that 2 neighboring states like NY/PA would have some sort of common laws for this sort of stuff, how in the heck do the cross country truckers stay in compliance with all of the laws with each state having there own laws??? What do you guys on the NY/PA border do, if you get a job in PA?

OneWelder

I am wondering if this is a overlooked situation by many of us - or least many of us who are older and have not kept up .
I have never had goose neck style trailer- but in NH a ball or pintle hitch trailer was reg. for weight, but Tractor trailers - trailer just paid the price of pl.. truck was reg for weight -
with ball or pintle both truck and trailer are reg. for weight even though you could or had to reg for more than legal limit - you could not haul more than legal limit- ie truck reg 50000+trailer reg 50000 can not haul 100000 with out special permits
I do not know how goos neck would be reg. in this state

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Well,the very good news is that they just recently lost much funding---got this from a very reliable source.I was wondering why they haven't been 2-3 days a week on the Highland side of the Mid-Hudson Bridge--they're gone and good riddens--that young punk cost me over $1800 in unnecessary tires and fines 2 Winters ago.They will still be at the old DOT garage on the Southbound side of 9W just North of Highland once in a while along with the present DOT garage South of 84 on Rt 9 in Fishkill.Not sure of the Thruway ramp in New Paltz.

nedly05

Well,the very good news is that they just recently lost much funding---got this from a very reliable source.I was wondering why they haven't been 2-3 days a week on the Highland side of the Mid-Hudson Bridge--they're gone and good riddens--that young punk cost me over $1800 in unnecessary tires and fines 2 Winters ago.They will still be at the old DOT garage on the Southbound side of 9W just North of Highland once in a while along with the present DOT garage South of 84 on Rt 9 in Fishkill.Not sure of the Thruway ramp in New Paltz.

Please do tell more on the loss of funding! I have to go to Parksville soon to pick up an evaporator (for making maple syrup), have to get off in Kingston I think and take 209 out toward Monticello. Im taking the 1 ton and 7 ton trailer, where do i need to be looking??

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Please do tell more on the loss of funding! I have to go to Parksville soon to pick up an evaporator (for making maple syrup), have to get off in Kingston I think and take 209 out toward Monticello. Im taking the 1 ton and 7 ton trailer, where do i need to be looking??

Hey Nedly,been a while. You're going to my roots over in Parksville--my Aunt and Uncle still live there.I was born 1 town over in Liberty.Anyway,I'm assuming you're coming down the Thruway,which is prime DOT country to start with.If I were you,I'd make this move after DOT hours--usually after 4PM is safe and before 7AM.I've never gone that way to Parksville,being I live in Dutchess County so let me look at the map as I'm drawing a blank right now for the safest way.

nedly05

Hey Nedly,been a while. You're going to my roots over in Parksville--my Aunt and Uncle still live there.I was born 1 town over in Liberty.Anyway,I'm assuming you're coming down the Thruway,which is prime DOT country to start with.If I were you,I'd make this move after DOT hours--usually after 4PM is safe and before 7AM.I've never gone that way to Parksville,being I live in Dutchess County so let me look at the map as I'm drawing a blank right now for the safest way.

Thank ya sir!, maybe I should just rent a u-haul truck, they dont bother to stop them, no worrys then!

texascadillac42

I have heard nightmare stories about the NY DOT. It always makes me nervous when I haul anything through there. Its always my equipment or vehicles and not commercial in anyway, but it is usually being towed by a 1 ton dually, with a 32ft gooseneck which makes it look fishy when there are no DOT numbers on the side. The only place I go in NY is Dutchess county, which has one of the stronger DOT presences in the state from what I understand.

nedly05

I got it again today, level 1 roadside, everything in order except a slack adjuster 1/8" out of adjustment. :Banghead

Grader4me

I got it again today, level 1 roadside, everything in order except a slack adjuster 1/8" out of adjustment. :Banghead

Did they fine you for only one slack adjustor out of adjustment?? I thought if only one was out they would let you off. Now, I guess I'm thinking Canadian here though..

nedly05

Did they fine you for only one slack adjustor out of adjustment?? I thought if only one was out they would let you off. Now, I guess I'm thinking Canadian here though..

No fine, not out of service, just has to be fixed before next dispatch. Our policy is to go back to the shop ASAP, and correct the problem that day. My next trip they were gone, but if he would have stopped me I was totally legal!!!