• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Do you need 700HP in your truck?

rino

Hey Jughead
I used to drive an East Quad with a KW 600 daycab doing basement foundations for a now gone excavation outfit here in NE Ohio! These were regular road tractors with C14 Cats and 10 speed road rangers air on air! Do the words "been there done that" once but never again sound familuar? Many times I had to get out and shake the $#!& out my britches! Then there is the mill and fill of paving. Mill a 24" wide lot about 1000' long and have to back down to the paver with the right side in the slot and then raise the bed! You'd be supprised how much seat the rectum can consume!

MKTEF

Today Volvo announced and showed their new FH 16 with 750Ps.
3550 NM max torque. 2400Nm at 900 rpm, 3550 at 1050rpm.
Euro 5 emissions and a EEV version is also available.
For total weights up to 250t, 500'pounds.
Pics and artice from here:
http://www.tungt.no/transportmagasinet/article700033.ece
Pics is Copyright Magnus Pajert.

That 2 axle truck with 750hp will be funny on winter roads..

Maybe there will be more pics later..:D
I'm planning a trip to the show:)

Attachments

• FH16_20750_image_20_421645f.jpg
    FH16_20750_image_20_421645f.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 943
  • FH16_20750_image_20_421646r.jpg
    FH16_20750_image_20_421646r.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 988

Lagu

Volvo owns Mack and Renault. I have always wounder why Mack and Renault not can get Volvos engines. I know nothing about the engines as is used by Mack and Renault but perhaps they use Volvos engines but in a lover HP-segment because Volvo not will have intern competition. However may I beleive the tree makes chare the cost of development of new engines instead for all run their own race.

Regards
Lars-Gunnar

Lagu

I cant agree there Squizzy246B!

We have a gross weight of 60 ton legally here in Sweden and a lot of our truckers is driving such combinations. They can’t get their commercial operators licence if they not can handle truck and trailer with manual gearbox. Big power have we had since Volvos first developed F16 as had 570 hk and lot of truckers had them. Since have vi had 500 – 600 and 660 -750 today. I can’t se any wrong with that because such power demonstrably is in need.

I read a firm down under has chosen two tri axle Volvo FH16 660 hk to pull four trailers. The chief said: If they not broke down within 40 days I will buy ten more and they have exceeded that rule with ease. That firm have had USA-trucks but said their engines had some issues. So now he is more for Volvo trucks than USA-trucks.

Regards
Lars-Gunnar

not 4 trailers mate..........john kelly at hha stated that if they could stand up too heavy haulage pulling modular floats he would consider buying another one. he has no issues with his usa engined trucks at all...in reality it all seems to be all bs its all about price the malvo was cheaper than a simialar speced kenworth............if you knew anything about the company you would no he owns a fleet of old macks and kenworths basically only in the last 4 years have they started too buy new trucks......as for 700 hp from a volvo or scania you can keep it ....they still wont or ever will keep up with a 500 v8 mack motor with 9% on the pump......and this i no for fact it aint real american torque in these new euro junk engines.........we been runnin with a 660 for a few months now..... same weight ,same loads ,pulling roadtrains in west aus and my old macks kill it .fuel is not much different and this is 25 years in developement difference. so keep the euro crap..........overpriced poofters trucks.

australian pete

bryan, your a bit tough on the euro stuff, i like us and euro, i currently have a mack with a 620 signature and a scania with a quad axle float with 500 hp with an aftermarket computer that gives it 600 hp, scania much nicer to drive although i dont like the synchro box, much prefer the 18 speed, also have a 460 hp MAN, has been a reliable truck.

Lagu

bryanparsissons you are right. I did write 4 trailers but it should be 3 so my deepest execute to you. I had 3 in my brain but my fingers wrote four.

I think you australian pete is more near the truth. There is nothing wrong with USA-trucks or Australian made Kenworth. And I will never call USA-trucks for junk as many in USA and perhaps Australia call Volvos products. It is always easier talk about things and not has a clue of what they talk about. Have all as write a message in this forum got the possibility drive every truck and then grade them? I don’t think so. I myself is not a driver and can only get any information from newspapers as test-drive them.

It is good if we all can talk to each other in a friendly manner and feel truck makers have their advantage or disadvantage or play under equal circumstances.

I have seen both Volvo and Mack in heavy haulage helping each other pull and push heavy gods trough You Tube I think it tell us something. I also know Kenworth is in favour towards Peterbilt. I have a feeling International is out of the Australian market.

Colorado Digger

euro trucks

what's the deal with the man's, scania's. volvos, mb's, daf. how are the transmissions set up? i never did get to see how they worked. but they don't have the standard stickshift like our kenworth's, macks, petes and such.
is it an automated gearbox with a selecter to go up and down?
a 625 red top cummins is all the power needed even here in the mountains. i have a buddy that does heavy haul and he swears by that motor. i have a red top 444 in one of my trucks that is an 86 and my buddies with brand new trucks with 475 cats can't run away from me.
not to say anything about my brand being better the other's just interested in the discussion.
regards, cd

MKTEF

CD i can fill out some...
Transmissions and axles is choosen by the usage of the trucks.
But, the biggest ones have just one transmission and a number of axle setups.
A look at the numbers gives u a clue of why.
3550 Nm at 1050 rpm, thats "Fast idle", let a clutch out and u got problems in the drivetrain.
All the highest rated euro trucks have no clutchpedal. Everything is automated. No stickshifts either. Many have a system redusing power at "take off".
Gears can be selected manualy too, or held in one gear.
Volvo got unsyncronised gearboxes, i've tested 100' punds on a semi in a sandpit.
Started in the bottom of a hill, the 700 Volvo geared up the whole way up. The shifts where just a dip in the rpm.
Theese engines will come your way too...
The US ultrashift is now rated for 700hp...

rare ss

biggest reason for going with euro trucks is the euro 5 emmissions, kenworth and mack are getting left behind and i know kenworth wont give you over 525Hp due to heat disapation (or lack of) with their EGR if you want to go over 160T GCM when for less $$ you can get a Scania for up to 730Hp and 200T rated with alot more comfort.. there will be x3 in WAz early next year :)

Volvo would be the same i would guess, but in the Scania you dont get full power unless your in the top 4 gears, rumer has it there's numbers like 850Hp+ ready to go from Scania on their dyno too

On other euro 5 related news, i heard that CAT have only sold 78 of their 500 2010 plated trucks (which they imported to beat emission laws) which they have brought into Australia with not alot of people wanting to touch them i think they might need to paint them lemon yellow

Last edited:

Nige

what's the deal with the man's, scania's. volvos, mb's, daf. how are the transmissions set up? i never did get to see how they worked. but they don't have the standard stickshift like our kenworth's, macks, petes and such.
is it an automated gearbox with a selecter to go up and down?
One brand I work with is Scania. They have a transmission system called Opticruise. Basically it is a "manual" transmission with an electronically-controlled conventional dry clutch and but no shift lever. On the steering column directly under the steering wheel is a rotary switch a bit like a multiple speed windshield wiper control marked "R, N, H, & D" (Reverse, Neutral, Hill, & Drive). On our trucks we have an optional clutch pedal because we do lots of low-speed manoeuvring, but you can also have them without a clutch pedal if you want. Most on-highway trunking operations opt for that arrangement, we keep the clutch pedal as I said before because of all the manoeuvring we do.

Scania.JPG

That control lever also works the transmission retarder, a 400HP hydraulic unit mounted on the back of the transmission. No Jake Brake needed. It has 5 positions, #5 will just about stand the truck on its head.

Basically you take off by putting your foot on the brake, engage "D" (if you want to go forward), release the park brake, the clutch takes up and you let your foot off the brake. As you speed up the operation of clutch, dipping the throttle, and shifting the transmission is all electronic. All the smoothness of an automatic in an "automatically-controlled manual" if you will.

The thing that always strikes me when driving European truck compared to a Mack, Kenworth, whatever is how quiet they are in the cab.

I think a lot of flak comes the way of European trucks, often caused by lack of knowledge. However the strange thing is that I've worked all over the world and I see all the major Euro brands in large quantities everywhere I go. Which brand is most sold in which country often depends on the service support from the dealer, In one country it might be Merc, another it might be Volvo. The only places outside the US I've ever seen American brand trucks in any quantity is Central America, the Caribbean, and the north coast of S. America (never been to Australia though). That has to tell you something.

Last edited:

tctractors

It is possible to have both Scania 730bhp and Volvo 750bhp in standard stick shift style G/boxs, it would be common to see lower power engines in these trucks set to pull top weight loads, that is all up weight of 150 ton U.K. often a lock up torque converter is used within the driveline above 150ton, Scania have been fitting Hydraulic retarders into their transmissions since the 3 series with great effect, Mack used to offer the V8 Scania engine as a choice option in the U.S. this was in the early power form of about 350bhp, it was big power then, the 730 is best descibed as like driving an 855 Cummins x 4, as they are slow reving engine making superb power low down in the rev band, plus the fact they are great to drive, these trucks are often doing massive distance , a local Co' to me have trucks heading nearly into China, india, and every place in between, with a bit more drama than just getting over the Alps ahead of them, 12 to 16 week 1 load trips are not uncommon,.

Nige

It is possible to have both Scania 730bhp and Volvo 750bhp in standard stick shift style G/boxs.......
We could have had standard stick shifts in our Scanias but chose not to. We're "only" running 470 BHP but that's in a 6x4 rear dump configuration.

indyviper

I would rather drive a 1988 dodge with a cummins diesel than that ugly thing you can put 12000 horsepower in that plastic lump of crap and ill stick with my classic xl with a c16

simonsrplant

I'd have a big power unit all day long....
Loads of power means making a job easier. Say I'm pulling a 50ton excavator, on a 3axle low loader, grossing 100ton. a 3406 powered foden with reductions and and eaton box will be working hard up and down hills. Working hard equals wear and fuel. Your new FH16 750 will make light work of it. Less wear, less fuel. More productivity. More in the bank. And that's why we're here.

australian pete

I would rather drive a 1988 dodge with a cummins diesel than that ugly thing you can put 12000 horsepower in that plastic lump of crap and ill stick with my classic xl with a c16

I guess you don't like European trucks, I own 2 macks, a scania and a MAN, they all have their good and bad points, euro trucks are definitely quitter and more comfortable though.

willie59

Administrator

We frown on this type of comment here at HEF, much like calling someones machine a "boat anchor". There's only two ways a person could use this type of language, 1) by personal experience, or 2) by opinion. Obviously, we have to discount #2 as it is just that, opinion. As for #1, one could make the argument that a Case 580K phase 1 is a "lump of crap" because they have a propensity for tranny and rear differential problems. But a lot of ordinary folks have this very machine, have invested in purchasing, operating, and maintaining the machine. In such a case it's disrespectful to call their machine a "lump of crap". We here at HEF prefer to work with each other, assist each other, even if we're working on a "boat anchor". :)

I have personally worked on and drove in a wide rage of trucks being a diesel mechanic. The oldest was a 1976 pete with a 5 and 4 trans, the most recent was a 2014 Volvo. I feel much safer going on trips in the older trucks because you can fix them with basic tools and common sense. The newer, after 2008, are chalenging and expensive to diagnose to repair. The emission systems are unreliable at best and have bankrupted some smaller carriers. I am currently building my next service truck and it will have a 3406e cat engine, 18 sp Eaton, 46 Rockwell diff's and an spl 190 drive line. The reason for the older technology, RELIABILITY.

willie59

Administrator
I have personally worked on and drove in a wide rage of trucks being a diesel mechanic. The oldest was a 1976 pete with a 5 and 4 trans, the most recent was a 2014 Volvo. I feel much safer going on trips in the older trucks because you can fix them with basic tools and common sense. The newer, after 2008, are chalenging and expensive to diagnose to repair. The emission systems are unreliable at best and have bankrupted some smaller carriers. I am currently building my next service truck and it will have a 3406e cat engine, 18 sp Eaton, 46 Rockwell diff's and an spl 190 drive line. The reason for the older technology, RELIABILITY.

No argument from me wrench, I cut my teeth on a 1962 White 4000 with a C160 Cummins, naturally aspirated, with a 5 x 4 Fuller Quadraplex, the essence of simplicity. :cool: