• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Do you kno 510 JD ?

Extendahoe

I've been looking at this John Deere 510B 4x4 turbo backhoe loader on ebay for several months now... anyone know any good, bad & ugly stories on this machine? I believe the hours are about 5500 or so, its been painted, supposely its a "great" machine, it looks the part in pictures, just thought i'd ask you guys about it b4 i make the trip to check it out.:beatsme
The year model isnt posted, wonder when the 510 series came out?

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Jd 510

I've been looking at this John Deere 510B 4x4 turbo backhoe loader on ebay for several months now... anyone know any good, bad & ugly stories on this machine? I believe the hours are about 5500 or so, its been painted, supposely its a "great" machine, it looks the part in pictures, just thought i'd ask you guys about it b4 i make the trip to check it out.:beatsme
The year model isnt posted, wonder when the 510 series came out?

It says its a 1985, it really looks good. If I was in the market for a backhoe I would ask myself a few questions
1. do I have something to haul this heavy machine. I have no idea what it weighs, but my old 310B weighed around 15,000 lb. It had 4-1 bucket and extendahoe.
2. do you need a 4-1 bucket, they are real good to have and this one doesnt have it
3. do you need a extendahoe, it doesnt appear to have one, but its hard to tell
4. what kind of work are you going to do, the weight of this machine maybe to heavy to work in soft areas. The good thing about the machine being heavy is, its should have lots of power
5. is the bucket the correct size for your work
6. how much is it going to cost you to get it to your shop, thats part of the total investment

Im only guessing, but I would think this machine would weigh around 16-17,000 lb, so its going to take a hefty trailer and truck to haul it

About the price, HUMM it is a 1985, so its an old unit. It has a new bucket, so that could mean that the other bucket was abused, or it could just be worn out from regular use. I wonder how the pins and bushings are in the boom and bucket
I see there is a bid for $12,000 I think thats what it was. I really would not want, much more than that in the machine, unless you just need this big machine.
I used to install septic systems and clear small lots with my JD310B, and it worked OK for that. I since replaced it with a small excavator and a skidsteer. They out work the backhoe a thousand times.
Of course you have to make up your mind on what you need,
good luck and make sure you check out the machine before you buy it

Extendahoe

It says its a 1985, it really looks good. If I was in the market for a backhoe I would ask myself a few questions
1. do I have something to haul this heavy machine. I have no idea what it weighs, but my old 310B weighed around 15,000 lb. It had 4-1 bucket and extendahoe.
2. do you need a 4-1 bucket, they are real good to have and this one doesnt have it
3. do you need a extendahoe, it doesnt appear to have one, but its hard to tell
4. what kind of work are you going to do, the weight of this machine maybe to heavy to work in soft areas. The good thing about the machine being heavy is, its should have lots of power
5. is the bucket the correct size for your work
6. how much is it going to cost you to get it to your shop, thats part of the total investment

Im only guessing, but I would think this machine would weigh around 16-17,000 lb, so its going to take a hefty trailer and truck to haul it

About the price, HUMM it is a 1985, so its an old unit. It has a new bucket, so that could mean that the other bucket was abused, or it could just be worn out from regular use. I wonder how the pins and bushings are in the boom and bucket
I see there is a bid for $12,000 I think thats what it was. I really would not want, much more than that in the machine, unless you just need this big machine.
I used to install septic systems and clear small lots with my JD310B, and it worked OK for that. I since replaced it with a small excavator and a skidsteer. They out work the backhoe a thousand times.
Of course you have to make up your mind on what you need,
good luck and make sure you check out the machine before you buy it

Well.... you certainly made me rethink some things, my only experence in the backhoe area was 15 yrs. ago I was an equipment operator with a utility company for 7 yrs. I ran a 580c 580E the 580super E mostly it had 4n1bucket and extendahoe 4x4 so I feel like I cant do without all those features now. I plan to use it on the farm clean out ponds, ditch cleaning and plan to build a house and want it for foundation and site work. Would like to be able to do work for public also some day. The price range im looking at $15,000 to $20,000 range... just hoping that I can come into a reliable backhoe for that money.

Last edited:

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
machine

Well.... you certainly made me rethink some things, my only experence in the backhoe area was 15 yrs. ago I was an equipment operator with a utility company for 7 yrs. I ran a 580c 580E the 580super E mostly it had 4n1bucket and extendahoe 4x4 so I feel like I cant do without all those features now. I plan to use it on the farm clean out ponds, ditch cleaning and plan to build a house and want it for foundation and site work. Would like to be able to do work for public also some day. The price range im looking at $15,000 to $20,000 range... just hoping that I can come into a reliable backhoe for that money.
Ive said this on several threads and Ill repeat it here. In this price range and what you say you are trying to do, I would buy a small excavator 25-30,000 lb machine. You can find plenty of them for less than $20,000.00. I would stay with Cat, Komatsu, Case, John Deere, in that order. I know there are several more Im not listing, but these are the ones I like and have lots of experience with.
You still will have to worry about something to move it with, but if you dont have a big farm, you can walk it to your locations. You might luck out and find a machine with a A/C for the summer months. The good thing, you can buy one, work it and then sell it for the same price you paid for it (hopefully)
You can do a lot of good work with this size excavator and they are fun to operate and they dont beat you up so bad.
My first machine was an old Drott 40, it was a hard working machine, I think I paid $7500 for it (10 years ago) I finally advanced myself to a Cat 320, but the old Drott did the same work, just slower and it beat you up more. You just have to be careful buying any used machine.
Good Luck

Extendahoe

Thanks Willis... thats a possibility I will look into for sure. Another question though, you may can shead some light my way. Today I found for a near future bank auction.. a John Deere 310 SE Turbo 4x4 Backhoe 4n1 bucket with extendahoe a quick visual of it look really good.... could be decieving I realize... it show 275 hrs. which is for sure wrong. I did get the vin or serial # from the left side of the frame (T0310SE874202) Can anyone tell anything from this number year make possibly? Where could i use this number to find out a history of this machine? Is that possible?

Extendahoe

After looking just a few minutes on the net is looks like this SE is most likely a 1997 or 1998 year model.. thats me guessing those are the year i see the 310 SE for sale in.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Jd

After looking just a few minutes on the net is looks like this SE is most likely a 1997 or 1998 year model.. thats me guessing those are the year i see the 310 SE for sale in.

Im thinking you could call JD and get them to give you a history of this machine. This only works, if they took it to a dealer for repairs. They are pretty good machines, but as always get it checked out before you buy it.