• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ditch Witch R40 Lubricant Help

DPM_

Hey all I just got ahold of a new to me Ditch Witch R40 with the Deutz F3L912 air cooled diesel engine and was trying to track down what weight engine oil to use. The local dealer said to use 10w-30, the online manual from their website says 30w and i've always used rotella 15w-40 on diesels. Oil weight.png
So basically I'm at a complete loss due to this machine coming with 2 gas engine (Wisconsin VG4D Continental F163) and 2 diesel engine models (Deutz F3L912 Perkins D3-152), I have no clue on how to interpret the online manual and I think the dealer might have given me the gasoline engine oil weight. :confused:

Thanks for any input or help anyone can offer!

Delmer

That chart is simple, above 40F you use 30 oil. Whether that applies to the wisconsin or the deutz, I have no idea.

30 is NOT 10w30. I'd feel fine using any of the three however, 10w30, 30, but prefer the 15w40

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I would use 15w-40 DEO. I would avoid a straight 30w. For reasons. I could write a 20 page white paper explaining why, but nobody would read it.

DPM_

That chart is simple, above 40F you use 30 oil. Whether that applies to the wisconsin or the deutz, I have no idea.

30 is NOT 10w30. I'd feel fine using any of the three however, 10w30, 30, but prefer the 15w40
I understood how to read the chart just didn't know which motor it was meant for OR if it was meant for all of the motors used in this machine.

I would use 15w-40 DEO. I would avoid a straight 30w. For reasons. I could write a 20 page white paper explaining why, but nobody would read it.
You both prefer the 15w-40 which is what I was leaning towards anyways but would you use the plane jane tried and true T4 rotella or since it's an air cooled engine use the synthetic T6 rotella 15w-40 which is synthetic? Only reason I ask is on another forum someone said with air cooled engines synthetic is supposed to be a better bet.

keif

I use Rotella synthetic 15-40 75hp deutz powered vermeer plow.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I can’t recommend Rotella. They spend more money on advertising than they do on product development. Over-hyped and over priced. But, that’s just my opinion as someone in the lube biz. Carry on.

DPM, welcome to the HEF. Tell us more about your operation.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
With your geographical location and the ambient temperature swings between summer and winter a multi-grade oil is what you need.

Regarding the debate of synthetic vs non-synth my suggestion would be that if the machine is racking up hours quickly and you are changing engine oil quite frequently then IMHO mineral oil is all you need. If on the other hand the oil is only being changed (say) once a year then a synthetic might be beneficial.

DPM_

I can’t recommend Rotella. They spend more money on advertising than they do on product development. Over-hyped and over priced. But, that’s just my opinion as someone in the lube biz. Carry on.

DPM, welcome to the HEF. Tell us more about your operation.
I'll have to get some pictures of my equipment and open up a thread just to get my name out on the forum. That could be enjoyable to see what everyone else has also!

keif

I'll have to get some pictures of my equipment and open up a thread just to get my name out on the forum. That could be enjoyable to see what everyone else has also!
Do you trench or plow with the r40?

DPM_

Do you trench or plow with the r40?
So far neither it came with a vibratory plow and a trencher. My plan is to build a tile boot for the trencher to lay short runs of field tile. My current boss owns two port industries plows and a wheel machine so he's not interested in the small jobs that I will be able to do.