• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ditch Witch 5110 tranny problem

Wardiker

Ive got a 1994 ditch witch 5110 chain trencher. Its having problems going from engaged mode with the chain moving back to transport mode which is without the chain moving and faster traveling speed. Had a guy hit something in the trany to get it to dis engage but he wont explain what he's doing. Anyone had this problem? THX

204saskman

did you figure out what happened to this by chance. I have a 6510 and I can only use the creep drive as the main tranny will not go into transport mode unless I'm doing something wrong. And yes I know this is a older thread.

Wardiker

did you figure out what happened to this by chance. I have a 6510 and I can only use the creep drive as the main tranny will not go into transport mode unless I'm doing something wrong. And yes I know this is a older thread.

YES, it was a worn clevis pin in the shifter linkage, The linkage was intact so it wasnt obvious,
Thats why this operator was hitting it with a long handle screw driver, too get it to go that extra little bit.
The pin is as thick as a crayon about 3/4" long and has a snap ring or cotter pin. It needs to be very tight as it connects 2 levers.

This is a memory from 2 years ago so, I hope that helps.
The mechanic that helped me said, lets look at the easy stuff 1st, cus I dont feel like working hard today.
Let me know if that solves your problem, sure sounds exactly like mine.
Cheers

204saskman

OK thanks I'll have to have a look at mine. I think my two levers are fairly sloppy. I'll have a look though. You don't happen to have any manuals for yours do you.

204saskman

Well had some time this weekend to look mine over. Wasnt the clevis pin. Or the linkage. Poped the safety covers off and firat thing I noticed was the 4 bolts that hold the hydralic rear pump on were loose. So removed the top bolts and reinstalled them and did the same with bottom ones. Once I did this it slide right into transport. Since this was kind of mis alinged it didnt allow it to completly shift out of the hydralic drive unit. But works good now. Simple fix thanks for the idea of wereto start. Now just have to remove thw clutch linkage as its kinda stiff or seized up a bit. Then onto the trenching bar. Need to shorten the chain a link as it to long then going to change some cups and hopefully install some aligator or frost type teeth on it.