• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ditch witch 3500

Jake Hackenburg

Hi everyone recently bought a ditch witch 3500, couldn't pass up the deal and figured it could work well in conjunction with my backhoe and make some money. I keep reading forums and I'm sorry if this has been beat to death but I'm still very unclear on any kind of pricing I've seen some that go by foot of trench. My machine will trench 40" x 8" wide as set-up would it be the same price wether I dug the trench 40" or 24" and what about soil conditions? Should I just come up with an hourly rate for the machine and what would be a decent hourly rate? It's all wheel drive and has a 4 way front blade

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Can you call around and see what others are charging? Maybe do some math and figure out cost of operation, profit you want and arrive at a minimum charge to come out. Or figure out what your time and the machine is worth to you an hour, estimate how many feet you can trench per hour in various conditions and do the math to come to a charge per foot. I wouldn't think it would be too hard to come to a fair market price for that. Worst case start at a rate and raise each time until somebody squeals then back down a bit. Most rates are a moving target anyway. Hope that helps.

Junkyard

Jake Hackenburg

Can you call around and see what others are charging? Maybe do some math and figure out cost of operation, profit you want and arrive at a minimum charge to come out. Or figure out what your time and the machine is worth to you an hour, estimate how many feet you can trench per hour in various conditions and do the math to come to a charge per foot. I wouldn't think it would be too hard to come to a fair market price for that. Worst case start at a rate and raise each time until somebody squeals then back down a bit. Most rates are a moving target anyway. Hope that helps.

Junkyard
Thank you yes your reply helps going to make a few calls tomorrow just trying to figure out the trenching game ALOT of wear parts lol better keep a chunk from each job to put back into it

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Yes there are a lot of moving parts. Usually not terribly expensive but they add up. Lots of the little crap that breaks or wears can be welded or built up. I worked in a shop helping them catch up on maintence and they would flat work the crap out of their trenchers. Always chain issues, drive belt, teeth etc.

Maybe price some wear parts and see what it would cost to replace.

Jake Hackenburg

Yes there are a lot of moving parts. Usually not terribly expensive but they add up. Lots of the little crap that breaks or wears can be welded or built up. I worked in a shop helping them catch up on maintence and they would flat work the crap out of their trenchers. Always chain issues, drive belt, teeth etc.

Maybe price some wear parts and see what it would cost to replace.
Thanks ya already getting into it.... the oil cooler sprung a huge leak deutz wants $2300 for a small aluminum oil cooler thinking I'm going to try and tig weld it. Seems to be little to no aftermarket support for these little engines