• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dirt road blading best practices VS HOA

Greg Stoneburner

Hi everybody, hopefully this is in the correct section... I'm hoping to gain some great knowledge from some old school blade hands, I have a bit of a dilemma going on.

I am the blade guy for our HOA here in CO. Lots of experience moving dirt, it's one of my every day jobs. Pioneered/ built/ maintained lots of dirt road and driveway. We live at about 9000' and get a bunch of snow, and a bunch of drifting. The only access to our subdivision is about 6 miles of well maintained county dirt road (magged, bladed, compacted) that is petty well built and has decent drainage, but it's anywhere from 5-12% grade and switchbacks the entire way up the hill. Then we have another 2 miles of HOA road that runs up through another hill/ switchback at about an 8% grade. Needless to say, access isn't easy, and it takes a good 6 hours in our old 772BH to do the entire route to pavement, plus wing back.

The last "operator" that I'm replacing really didn't understand drainage or proper blading/ plowing, but he did it so long that everyone on the board thinks that his way was "the way."

The old SOP (created by the board with no members that had any equipment/ plowing experience other than their hobby tractors) was to leave 2-3" of snowpack on the roads all winter long, and as you can probably guess, the pack on any warm day would either glaze over and be too slick to drive on (lots of cars over the edge) or the bottom would fall out and anything other than 4wd trucks/SUV's would be stuck.

This winter I took over the blading and moved over to the best practices that I was taught from the old blade hands around here, and would only leave 1/2" on the road, lightly exposing the crown so it would bake off before it had a chance to melt into the subgrade and the freeze and make a muddy mess after it broke up the bed. The snowmobile crowd is exceptionally unhappy, but I think we have a workaround there. My big issue is that I'm having is that the board believes that my way of plowing is doing more damage to the roads, and I cannot convince them otherwise. The snowmobile crowd moaning isn't helping either.

My argument is that we are in a place that someone will eventually need emergency services, and fire trucks/ ambulances (even 4wd) will get stuck in the pack/ slide around on the glaze. It is a life safety issue.
I also believe that removing the pack all winter keeps it from melting out from underneath and keeps the moisture out of the subgrade.

Problem is, I cannot for the life of me, find any documentation of best dirt road plowing practices, etc. It should be common sense, and every blade hand in this area says it's correct, but they are pushing back. Does anyone have any documentation/ experience with this? I would quit, but then I lose access to my house....

skyking1

No you don't. You can quit doing the job and sit on the sidelines and throw rocks too,
Nobody said you had to grade it.
I'd be sorely tempted to do so, considering the thanks you are getting. FYI I agree with plowing it tight, and making sure the ditches are great in the summer season when it is possible. Leave an uphill shoulder for the snow machine crowd as a compromise, but stick to your guns on removing snow.
My experiences with leaving a pack like that is the day it breaks up and makes ice washboard. That sucks.

Delmer

I've seen an excellent road design publication, maybe forest service, but I don't remember anything in there about leaving snowpack on top of the road.

skyking1

I've seen an excellent road design publication, maybe forest service, but I don't remember anything in there about leaving snowpack on top of the road.
It is just about avoiding getting too aggressive by removing snow. you can do more harm than good at some point.

Welder Dave

Leaving a snow pack is good for a flat driveway so you don't dig up the gravel if using a tractor or something. With a grader you can clear it like a county road just high enough to avoid taking gravel off which it sounds like you are doing. If you're lucky the sun will come out and melt the last little bit so there's good traction. Emergency vehicle access should be the highest priority especially if there's fairly steep slopes. I think for most dwellings it's a requirement. When I bought my property the county upgraded the dirt road to a gravel road. Unfortunately I had to pay a portion of it. I don't live at the property but I have people come out to my MX and oval tracks. An ambulance has been out a couple times and a larger county emergency vehicle once. Last thing you want is a stuck ambulance or fire truck. That should be your trump card for dealing with this group of uneducated goofs.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Perhaps you could get the local fire/ems service to make some written statement about clearing roads to a particular standard or they will not respond to calls in the area.
My thoughts would be what about what an insurance company's opinion on cost of coverage if fire and ems access is not adequate do to lack of snow removal? I know that distance to nearest hydrant can effect fire insurance.

Welder Dave

When I looking at insurance for my property they needed to know how far away the closest fire station was. If the fire station is only 5 miles away but they can't get up an icy hill they're kind of useless. Same with an ambulance.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Sometimes you can't fight the man. Do half the road your way, and half their way. I've had fights with people that know nothing about grading, paving and running water. Some people are unable to deal with change. You can either do what they want, or walk away. I've stressed myself to death over stuff like that, and it's not worth it. The province hired our grader to plow one winter while their's was down. Got the call on the phone one night while I was out to stop using my Moldboard, and just use my front plow and wing. My first thought was why would you hire a grader in the first place, but they were paying something like $150 per hour, so whatever you want. Another thing to look at is if you do it their way, and something happens, you were doing what you were told. If you do it your way, and have a bad spring and the road goes to he double hockey sticks, they point the finger your way.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Maybe split the difference, leave around 1.5" on the road and perhaps that keeps everyone happy. If that is not sufficient, I would do it how they want it done. If they are happy with a 3" of pack, so be it, I agree with what your saying on what happens when it starts to melt and freeze and when it starts to pot hole.

Greg Stoneburner

Update, I have been instructed to leave 2" of pack on the entire road, "per the county plow permit".
Problem is, the permit says we have permission to plow lower if it's a life safety matter and we all their permission, but we're just going to ignore that part....
Going to consult some legal advice, because I'm not entirely sure that if there's an accident, that I can't be held liable, even if I'm just "following instructions."
Down anyone have any experience in this? Is there a liability waiver I can get as an employee?

Also, a moral conundrum. If I knowingly plow that road a way that causes an accident or causes someone to not receive fire/ medical help, I'm not sure I can live with that.

Finally, the solution may be to leave a 4' wide strip of pack on one shoulder, covering the ditch. Does anyone have any experience with that? I'm thinking it's going to trash my spring drainage....

Welder Dave

You might be over thinking it. The permit is ridiculous. It says you can plow this way or plow lower if it's warranted. I think for safety and emergencies you plow it lower. If anyone complains ask them if they will sign off an any and all liability. If they say no then you plow it your way. I doubt the homeowners association would sign off all liability as a group. People need to pull their heads out of their a$$es.

cfherrman

Also, a moral conundrum. If I knowingly plow that road a way that causes an accident or causes someone to not receive fire/ medical help, I'm not sure I can live with that.

This is probably the biggest part in my mind, if you could not live with it tell them I'm not causing a death I'm going to do it this way or get someone else. You really have all the power here as good luck getting anyone else.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Why don’t you just leave a 2” or 3” strip on the down hill side for the sleds and if it changes grade screw ‘em.