• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Directional drilling with some rock

gravelwasher

Occupation
mineral mining
Brief project description.
I need a 16” to 24” draining pipe installed. The distance is around 80 to 90' with a 30' drop. I know from doing vertical holes that about 30' will be through medium rock, about 10' of gravel, and the rest looks like clay. Currently no underground or over ground utilities, but over head power to be installed end of January. Will be drilling under a gravel access road. Location of pipe not set in stone at this point and adjustments can be made.
Installation complication by February 8, 2013.
Project is ready to be started.
Would prefer not to work during power installation.

I sent an invention to bid out to 20 companies I could find around me (about 200 miles). The info above is just an overview and more info with pics were sent out. I got a few phone calls about the project with questions, but mostly letters saying they do not have the equipment to do anything that large or we do not do jobs that small. There are 2 companies that are coming out to look at the job and one wanted me to send them a sample of the rock.

I thought I would of gotten a better response than what I did.
Is this normal for this size project?
Can anyone recommend a company I'm in western VA?

muddauber

Did you call Spru Craig out of Shipman, Va? Or E. Ann Jackson out of Richmond, Va? I've used Craig on jack and bore casings close to that size and length, but not 30' drop in the length. They should both be in the Blue Book or on Internet/yellow pages.

gravelwasher

Occupation
mineral mining
The drop is where we dug out a huge work site next to a hill. There is to much soil to trench to put in a drainage pipe. I would have to upload a pic...

I would think drilling up and pulling the pipe down from the top would be the best but I don't know.

I'll check to see if I contacted them when I’m in the office tomorrow. Thanks for the passable leads.

Homemade

I work in the underground utility industry and drilling up hill is never recommend if drilling down hill is possible. The bore fluid they pump to the head will run away from the drill head, back down the bore hole. Clay is the best drilling conditions. Rocky pit run in my opinion is the worst. Sand is hard on the product if you don't have your mud mixed right. Solid rock is very time consuming. But doable.
The reason I think that you got the feedback you did is because the job is in between two markets. The big guys don't have the time to mess with this smaller size of a project. The pipe maybe too big of a pull back for the small guys.

Homemade

I didn't relize the date of the posts. Sorry the info is so late. How did the job go?