• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Direct drive D4 clutch lever removal

Old Growth

I’m trying to replace the bearings in the pivot on the clutch lever on my 72 d4d cat.

The lever is held onto a steel post on the left side of the tranny by a washer and a cotter pin.

The problem is that you can’t slide it over far enough to remove it before it hits the dozers frame/body structure.

Does anyone have any idea if that post is pressed into the trans or if it’s threaded into it and can be removed?

Old Growth

Here is a few pics of the part/area in question.

Attachments

• IMG_9277.jpeg
    IMG_9277.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9279.jpeg
    IMG_9279.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_9278.jpeg
    IMG_9278.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
They're usually pressed in. Can you gas-axe a neat hole in the upright plate section of the frame, that will allow the lever to come off?

Old Growth

They're usually pressed in. Can you gas-axe a neat hole in the upright plate section of the frame, that will allow the lever to come off?

I thought of that, but the upper handle portion also makes contact. So it would probably come off since it’s real sloppy presently and could be angled to the side somewhat, but it would have to go one straight once a new bearing/bushing was installed.

d9gdon

I've had mine off my D4 7U before...I think service manual advises to pry or drive it into the trans housing. Is there a small hole in the frame there to get a punch in to drive it in?

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Don, the D4D has a separate chassis frame that supports the engine transmission and radiator, unlike the unit construction of the D4 7U.

Attachments

• CAT-D4.jpg
    CAT-D4.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 12