• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Differences between Hitachi 120-2/120-3/120-5

1toomanyhobbies

I may have work in the future for an excavator this size and began looking around. In researching it seems I can find ex 120-2's in the mid $20k range. I imagine the -3 and -5 are stronger and smoother but I am wondering if anyone can give their impressions of the difference between the two. If I could find a -3 with same hours/condition for 5k more would it be worth it to get the -3? Just would like to hear people's inputs.

rgl726

the -2 and -3 are basicaly the same.

the only difference is the pilot pump. for the -3 the oil suction hose is direct from the tank while the -2 is integrated from the main pump.

main internal pump parts is the same (e.g barrel, piston shoe, valve plate)

1toomanyhobbies

Thanks rgl. It sounds like there isn't really any advantage of buying a -3 over a -2.

Another question. how much would it cost to have auxiliary hydraulics installed for a thumb? Is it around 2k or so?