• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Diff steer, how does it work?

ih100

What point are you trying to make, Tigerotor? Is that why Cat produce the D8 Hystat, perhaps? Because the D8R was being run rings round by the Deere 1050? And dropped the D6N like a hot coal when the D6K came along?

Seriously, there were more involved marketing and pricing considerations involved than a knee-jerk. Look how many more components there are in a D5N than a D5 or 6K, and also look at the weight and power differences between the hystats and equivalent powershifts..

railrider

Not trying to jack this thread- maybe one of the mods can move it?

In response to your questions railrider, my first question would be: where’s the old pump? Pump gears usually don’t break without a reason, rather, they are the victim of oil starvation or debris in system. This evidence is crucial to getting to the bottom of your problem.

Also, be advised that this is a differential steer tractor meaning the hydraulic system which powers steering motor is a separate oil system from the power train. The mechanical part of the steering shares oil with the brakes, transmission, torque converter and that pump you just replaced and this is where I would suspect the culprit is.

I would not spend another dime without examining the pump and carefully inspecting screens and filters. If you'd could, post pictures so we can try and analyze what's in there. Feel free to contact me directly.

Thanks for responding. Found problem. I wish I would have thought to get picture of problem. When the left brake was rebuilt, a new housing was installed. This new housing had a large ring "made into it". We simply disassembled, removed the old large "ring" and it worked fine. It was an update that I feel Cat should have put a notice or warning label on. Very easy to overlook. So, the brake wasn't able to be released because of the "extra ring" that was in it. The trans pump gear, I suspect was broke for quite some time. When the machine was shut down, it just happened to stop in just the right place for the broken piece of the gear to fall out of place, thus losing the ability to turn to create flow/pressure required to release brakes. Thanks

surfer-joe

You will come to greatly appreciate the tiller steer Cats, Pete. It took me a while to get used to it, but I wouldn't go back to the older models for anything. (excepting a good running TD25C)

I really like the D8R, and D9R, not so much the D9T or 10T. They feel sluggish to me. The D6R is a real nice ride. One can really notice the difference when yer operating started started out on a D6-9U machine back in the early sixties.

Tigerotor77W

What point are you trying to make, Tigerotor? Is that why Cat produce the D8 Hystat, perhaps? Because the D8R was being run rings round by the Deere 1050? And dropped the D6N like a hot coal when the D6K came along?

Seriously, there were more involved marketing and pricing considerations involved than a knee-jerk. Look how many more components there are in a D5N than a D5 or 6K, and also look at the weight and power differences between the hystats and equivalent powershifts..

I'm well aware that business decisions at Cat aren't knee-jerk. I spoke too quickly in my post; I was joking that there are advantages and disadvantages to all transmission types. In trying to jokingly point out that a-orp- didn't say that diff-steer has its pluses and minuses, I also failed to point out what you mentioned. :)

ih100

I'm well aware that business decisions at Cat aren't knee-jerk. I spoke too quickly in my post; I was joking that there are advantages and disadvantages to all transmission types. In trying to jokingly point out that a-orp- didn't say that diff-steer has its pluses and minuses, I also failed to point out what you mentioned. :)

Sorry if I came across a bit sharp there, Tigerotor. I was having a jest as well. Mind you, if not on this occasion, Cat have made some knee-jerk decisions in the past. Keep watching for the next one.

Tigerotor77W

No worries. :) No offense taken!

I think Cat has a rough road ahead of them. There's a lot of good iron on the market today, and much as I am very much Yellow Blooded, they need very much to get their act together and, importantly, to keep it together.

Last edited: