• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Diesel tank/ tool box combo

Jakebreak

Occupation
operator/pipelayer/mechanic
Hey everyone I am wanting some ideas or opinions on a fuel tank/ tool box combo for my new truck. I would like something around 50-75 gallons for a tank and a big enough box to to put stuff from my old box and be able to get rid of my 5 drawer craftsman box I have in my old truck for my hand tools. I don’t like the idea of having another box in my truck for hand tools if I can help it my truck has an 8’ bed and eventually I will put a flatbed or a half mechanics bed/ flat bed on the truck for tools but be able to use the fuel tank box combo on the new bed. The reason I want to stay in that 50-75 gallon range is if we take long trips that would give me one tank of fuel without having to stop and also for any side work with equipment I would have something that would be able to fill a variety of equipment with in that range.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Those are handy. I would look at Highway Products, there stuff is Aluminum and very well made. Its not cheap, but buy once, cry once I guess. The only issue with using the fuel in the tank in the back is if you use red fuel for off road. That would legally prevent you from using that fuel in your pickup. If you use taxed fuel off road, then it would all be clear fuel and wouldn't be an issue.

Jakebreak

Occupation
I will look them up yeah it will only be clear fuel red is hard to find at the pump in California unless you go through a fuel supplier I believe. A lot of those boxes I have seen so far have a nice setup but the tool box part are really shallow and not much storage space.

Swampboy99

Not sure exactly sure what brand it is (no placard)but I have a 94 gallon tank with a toolbox built onto it and love it
Have a milk crate full of chains
My big hammers, an assortment of pipe wrenches, welding rods and hood, toolkit and 2 bottle jacks in it and still have more room
That is the style of tank I prefer but Ik a handful of people that run a 50gal skinny rectangle tank in the very front and then a normal truck toolbox that sits on the rails in front of it if your running a factory bed

Box is in disarray at the moment and needs to be organized again as I’ve been in and out of it constantly the past week
IMG_9019.jpegIMG_9020.jpeg

Legdoc

One thing to consider some of the fuel/tool set-ups do not sit in the bed floor except the sides allowing some cargo such as several sheets of plywood to slide under.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I have a RDS aluminum L-Tank with a Weather Guard cross box. Also have a UWS aluminum drawer stack at the tailgate. Current truck is a SWB SRW 350 so not much bed space but this combo allowed me to take everything off the old LWB 350 that had the wider WG cross box.

Wide angle pic from a demo project we were bidding but shows the overall layout.

IMG_4698.jpeg

Jakebreak

Occupation
Not sure exactly sure what brand it is (no placard)but I have a 94 gallon tank with a toolbox built onto it and love it
Have a milk crate full of chains
My big hammers, an assortment of pipe wrenches, welding rods and hood, toolkit and 2 bottle jacks in it and still have more room
That is the style of tank I prefer but Ik a handful of people that run a 50gal skinny rectangle tank in the very front and then a normal truck toolbox that sits on the rails in front of it if your running a factory bed

Box is in disarray at the moment and needs to be organized again as I’ve been in and out of it constantly the past week
View attachment 302958View attachment 302959
Nice that looks like a better built theirs quite a bit of room in that box

Jakebreak

Occupation
I have a RDS aluminum L-Tank with a Weather Guard cross box. Also have a UWS aluminum drawer stack at the tailgate. Current truck is a SWB SRW 350 so not much bed space but this combo allowed me to take everything off the old LWB 350 that had the wider WG cross box.

Wide angle pic from a demo project we were bidding but shows the overall layout.

View attachment 302960
Does that cross box interfere with the camera for the bed as far as seeing a gooseneck hitch how many drawers is that small box. Is it built well the one I got like that in my work truck is from tractor supply and it’s falling apart already. Is your truck the high output diesel

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
It's a bit of a trick finding a setup with a good sized fuel capacity AND decent storage capacity AND still be able to use the gooseneck.

cfherrman

Mine is around 60 gallons which I find is plenty, the equipment I feed it uses 20-30 gallons a day so I fill every other day and would fill the pickup twice.

It's a aluminum L tank for a short bed and I would get one like that so you can use it on any pickup. Just get a tool box that you like, I found a used one that isn't big or small and I find it to be perfect. It's not the old school wing one I don't like those. I find the combo units you can buy are not that nice it's probably better to piece them together.