• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Diesel additive for summer

Leakguy

Occupation
Retired from water utility
I would like some feedback on the best choice for a summer diesel additive. I have been using Diesel Serv. injector cleaner which seems to work. I am concerned about keeping the fuel pump properly lubricated. I am using it in a Case 580C. It runs well and does not burn oil or smoke excessively. I am somewhat of a greenhorn to working on diesels, so be gentle.

Hobs802

I've been putting Lucas diesel additive in my '03 Freightliner FL70 as well as my '00 JCB 212s, both machines start beautifully and run clean. A quart bottle treats 100 gallons of fuel so it feels like an good deal, adding less than $0.02 to the cost per gallon.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
My best suggestion if you are using a major brand diesel fuel is to get hold of a copy of the lab analysis of said fuel. Look for the lubricity number as measured under ASTM Standard D6079 using the HFRR test. The report value should be under 500 microns, some diesel fuels it might even be as low as low-300's.

Since ULSD was first introduced the fuel companies have had plenty of time to get the lubricity right. At one point in time it might have been questionable but I don't think that's the case now.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Welcome to the HEF. I hustle fuel & work in the biz. I would ask your supplier if they are already additizing the fuel you purchase.
Like Nige was suggesting.

If not, for summer, you only need a lubricant & possibly a cetane improver. Power Service Diesel Kleene is a good option. In the silver bottle.

There is a lot of snake oil out there. And, there are a lot of fellas that don’t know what they are talking about. And, someone will be along shortly to tell you to add two-stoke oil. The next guy will tell you he has 3 million miles under his belt with his old Pete and he adds a quart of ATF every time. Then uses his fuel points for a 64oz fizzy and two hot dogs.

Coaldust

Occupation
This stuff is popular. This drum will treat 1/2 million gallons, or so.
IMG_9773.png

Leakguy

Occupation
Retired from water utility
My best suggestion if you are using a major brand diesel fuel is to get hold of a copy of the lab analysis of said fuel. Look for the lubricity number as measured under ASTM Standard D6079 using the HFRR test. The report value should be under 500 microns, some diesel fuels it might even be as low as low-300's.

Since ULSD was first introduced the fuel companies have had plenty of time to get the lubricity right. At one point in time it might have been questionable but I don't think that's the case now.
Currently using Exxon/Mobil Efficient as that is what is closest/least expensive. I'm trying to locate the specific info you were talking about. That seems the best way to start. I use the machine around the property, not professionally, but still don't want to kill the pump. Quite pricey to replace!

Coaldust

Occupation
Leakguy,

Tell us about yourself. Head over to the new member introduction forum and give us a shout-out. I’d like to hear about your user name. Do you fix leaks?

I fix leaks. If the hazmat is drippin’, don’t be trippin’ . Cargo tanks big or small, I fix them all! I make bank, when it drips from the tank. Knowwhatimsayin?

Deere500a

40 year old diesel likes oil nothing tier 4 but the old stuff will get marvel mystery oil or find on clearance ATF cheapest going in the tank. Biofuel use to be notoriously dry & gelled up easy slightest bit of cold

Jonas302

Really nothing needed but you probaly dont use to much fuel so a splash of additive costs nothing and makes you feel better go for it

In the course of the summer we stuff about 100,000 gallons though antique engines with no trouble some injectors pumps have 40000 hrs on them without being touched

Coaldust

Occupation
Oh’ yeah, here we go. ATF isn’t meant to burn. The precision parts in the fuel system don’t particularly do well with friction modifiers. The viscosity index improver additive pack in ATF doesn't start to work until 140 degrees F.

But, please keep purchasing it. We have pallets of it to sell. :). But, I could save you some money with this one simple trick.

Coaldust

Occupation
Never seen that. We carry power service and FFffppppppfffff (haha)
It’s a regional thing. Every terminal uses something else. Innospec has an add pack that’s popular in Southeast.

You guys move a lot of PS because the Rep in PDX is good friends with your Boss. That’s fine, it’s a good product. You broke new sales records this winter in Bet and Kotz, during the great gel-out of 23/24.

Coaldust

Occupation
Really nothing needed but you probaly dont use to much fuel so a splash of additive costs nothing and makes you feel better go for it

In the course of the summer we stuff about 100,000 gallons though antique engines with no trouble some injectors pumps have 40000 hrs on them without being touched
Hundred grand is a good account. That provides some ability to negotiate margin.

Coaldust

Occupation
The whole retail diesel additive market is all about branding, marketing & advertising. I still have a full size cardboard cutout of Ted Nugent holding a bottle on PS. Still cracks me up why they thought that was a good idea. I like Ted. Don’t get me wrong. PS dropped him like a hot potato.

Guys have their favorite brands, sometimes going back twenty years. But, you know those formulas have all changed across the board. The blenders only have a few choices of ingredients available. It’s all covered under CFR 80, Subpart G. The EPA strictly controls it. Can’t say it’s all the same, some blenders skip out by not adding enough Lubricant. A couple of the chems are rather expensive. I don’t recall off hand.

Deere500a

Diesel giving its chance will run on only motor oil, 5wt oil add ain't going to hurt it. 20 years ago Minnesota was littered with dead vehicles because of the diesel mandate