• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deutz f4l 1011

mattyt1984

I have a deutz f4l 1011 issue is push rod adjustment on rocker needs be threaded out so much the lock nut won't go on. All the others seem to lift and adjust well. This seems to be missing like 3/8 inch of lift when closed. Any common issues with these I'm thinking it could only be cam or broken lifter. I compared push rods are all are the same lengths.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
The things are actually pretty simple to work on. We have a handful of them in our motorized carriages. I'm trying to remember the name of the place where we got the parts, I believe it was diesel parts direct and it was about half price of the local distributor.

mattyt1984

Yeah I got the new timing belt and tensioning pulley only thing I don't have is tensioner. What is the cheapest option for that?

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
It's funny how many guys take part of that tin shrouding off and throw it away if it comes loose or rattles around. That's like running your car out of water.

mattyt1984

I replaced Cam. Timed engine. It's starts and runs but cylinder one and 2 cause engine to smoke. If I disconnect the injector lines on those two cylinder smoke mostly clears and it sounds about the same. I did a compression test and both tested above 400 psi cold. I put in new injectors and pumps as well. Any ideas what this could be.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Have you tried moving the 2 injectors from the bad holes to the good holes? If the problem remains, try swapping the unit pumps. I think those only use a simple gasket, not a shim. Keep track of what you swap from where, so you can identify what effected a change or not. Good luck.

mattyt1984

How do you adjust fuel timing? I checked cam to crank and it's right on. Can the fuel pumps be shimmed with thinner gasket or none? It seems like they need to fire a little quicker so engine won't smoke. Any suggestions?

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Di you see any shims of different thickness beneath the pumps? I wouldn't mess with pump timing unless all other avenues don't shake out. How did chasing injectors turn out? Change, no change?