• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deutz f3l

TERM101

Ive got a Dynapac CC142 with a deutz air cooled diesel. The guys pulled it into the shop the other day to fix a fuel leak and now I cant get the thing to start. Ive got plenty of fuel coming up to each individual injection pump but they wont pump it to the top. Ive verified that the cams are working that pump the injectors and the rack is moving on/off accordingly to open/close each injection pump when you turn the switch on/off. However, dispite all of this I still cannot get the pumps to pump fuel to the top. I am out of ideas. I noticed that each individual injection pump has some sort of pin in the front of them that are pushed down. Someone told me that you could check to see if the rack was moving by sticking something is the hole but if those pins are pushed down would it stop the pump from pumping fuel to the piston?

Any help is greatly appreciated! I have a general understanding of how these motors work but I am no expert on them.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I don't know all the Deutz engines, but isn't F3L the prefix for the 912 engine that has a Bosch injection pump? Sounds like your describing a Deutz that has individual cam operated injection pumps for each cylinder. What is you full F3L _ _ _ model number? What fuel leak did you fix? Did it start for just a moment and then die? Or has it not hit a lick since you repaired fuel leak. What type of shutdown solenoid does it use? Are you certain it's working? Just trying to get all info that's pertinent. :)

TERM101

Yep thats it. Individual cam operated pump for each cylinder. Deutz F3L 1011 F. Dont quote me on this but im thinking like the return line from one of the injectors was leaking and they just put a new section of hose in. And to the best of my knowledge it ran for a few minutes and then died, if I remember correctly. Ill talk with the guys tomorrow and make sure im not telling anything wrong. I dont remember the solenoid make off the top of my head. Its kinda unique looking in the way that it works. But, I took the solenoid off and worked the fuel rack with my fingers to no avail. Ive been told that even when these motors are working correctly, if you get air in the lines the it can be a pain in the a@@ to sort out(not sure if its true or not) This is actually the first one ive ever had to work on, so i'm learning :) If im understanding everything correctly, there is no reason that this motor should not be pumping fuel. Maybe its just something small that I am missing.

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I think you have the 1011F correct, I'd forgot about those. :tong

It's actually an oil cooled engine, the fan forces air though an engine oil cooler that keeps engine cooled. And yes, when you get air in these things they can be a bugger to prime them again, just strange it happened when you replaced a return line. Are you certain the lift pump is pumping fuel to the cam injection pumps? Does your lift pump have a priming lever on it? Have you tried removing injection lines from injection pumps, crank engine while pumping priming lever on lift pump until fuel is coming out of injector outlets? Just a few thoughts.

TERM101

Yea, sorry ment to put oil cooled instead of air cooled. Anyway, there is no priming lever on the supply pump on this motor or I probably would of had it running by now. I haven't had time to work on it the past few days, maybe ill get around to it sometime tomorrow or next week sometime. Ive got plenty of fuel coming up through the supply line to the injection pumps but they just wont take the fuel and pump it up top. Why does this motor have such a network of return lines on it? Im not exactly sure I understand why it needs all of that. Also, the return line is connected to the end of the supply line and runs up to each individual cylinder and then back to the tank. Can anyone explain this in a little greater detail...maybe I am overlooking something simple by not taking something into account with the return lines on this motor. I just assume those are return lines..This is the first one of these motors ive had the "pleasure" of coming into contact with.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, I'm not terribly familiar with the components of the 1011F. But, if it has individual cam operated injection pumps for each injector, there has to be a return line for each pump for internal leakage of pumps. Same reason injectors have return lines connected to them. Forget about the injector for now, they will work themselves out. Remove injection lines from injection pumps and crank until you have fuel coming out of the outlets. If you can't get fuel from them, you need to make sure the shut down solenoid isn't the problem. If it's working proper, make sure timing belt is operating the cam shaft. Just a couple of thoughts.

TERM101

Finally got time to tear it down and look at it the other day. Turns out that the rack that slides back and forth to activate the injection pumps was bent in just the right spot so that when it moved in the block it would just barely trip over one the the pegs on the third pump. Bent it back, checked everything, put it all back together and it fired up like a champ.

Thanks for the input guys!