• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deutz Engine not firing

Peterneg

Hi everyone. I'm new here but what a fantastic forum!

I have a problem with the engine in a Thomas 243 skid steer loader. The machine was working fine recently but stuck in a field, started to cough and splutter then cut out. It started again just enough time to return it to the garage. The engine would turn over, fire for a second and then cut out. After a few attempts to start it, it would not fire at all. I discovered the fuel lift pump had a screw overtightened that has damaged the pump. I replaced the fuel lift pump and some of the fuel lines whilst I was at it. The engine still will not fire.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the Deutz BFM 1011F does not need bleeding when out of fuel. I'm not sure about that though. Never had to bleed a diesel engine before. What do I have to do to bleed it, and is this going to solve my problem?

Thanks in advance guys!

Peterneg

Wouldn't the machine have to be actually running for the shot off solenoid to fail or have I misunderstood?

Lil' Puss

On some models the shut down solenoid must be actuated (energized) to allow fuel to pass to the injection pump, but on some other Deutz's I've seen the shut down solenoid will hold the rack in the no fuel position untill energized. In either case Cutting Edge is correct. The coil has failed, if in fact that is the problem. Also sounds like a bad case of diesel bugs.

Last edited:

Delmer

I'm going with the diesel bugs, it sounds like it's getting a little fuel, just not enough. Not as likely that the coil failed gradually, but I don't know THIS ENGINE so maybe?

In any case, first check that the engine is getting a good flow of fuel, wouldn't hurt to try to blow the supply line back into the tank, it should bubble easily, if it doesn't blow back easily, use compressed air to blow it back. If you have an electrical multimeter you can check the ohms of any coils in the fuel system, if any are "open" then they're obviously bad, might be able to remove the coil or somehow see if they are operating correctly in place.

If you're not morally opposed to either, that is a quick and easy way to bleed a engine.

partsandservice

Like Cutting Edge said.... The fuel shut off solonoid pulls the rack in under power and release to fuel shut off when power removed. It is at the front of the engine and has two wires. From experience polarity is must it will not work either way. Had to hook the red wire to black wire and visversa(is that even a word?) discovered that by activating it with a hot and ground from battery, might have been a fluke. Anyway it looks likes this...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,653

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
With a Deutz that has that type of shut down solenoid, if you suspect the solenoid is the problem with engine not running, all you have to do is remove it and the engine should run. Then use the manual shut down lever on the side of governor housing to kill the engine after you've performed the test.

Peterneg

Thanks for the fantastic feedback everyone.

I will definitely try removing the solenoid tomorrow to test if that was the issue. I thought it might have been air in the fuel lines but I'm thinking that perhaps I might have to look further into other possible issues. Perhaps the solenoid may have been damaged when the engine was cleaned?

I'll try again tomorrow and see if I can solve the problem.

Thanks for the assistance - this is quite frustrating!

NCPIPELINE

Occupation
The Fixer
With a Deutz that has that type of shut down solenoid, if you suspect the solenoid is the problem with engine not running, all you have to do is remove it and the engine should run. Then use the manual shut down lever on the side of governor housing to kill the engine after you've performed the test.

Willie nailed this on the head - Our A300 has this same fuel solenoid and wouldnt fire, removed solenoid came right to life, funny thing was solenoid operating properly when 12 volts was applied, but the power wire going to solenoid was not getting power when key was turned. Ran new wire. BINGO. Back in action. Just food for thought.

Lil' Puss

Very easy to test. Turn key switch on. If solenoid moves it's OK, if not put a test light on the positive lead. If it lights and solenoid doesn't move - bad solenoid. If it doesn't light, check wiring and dig deeper.

steven nguyen

Hello,
We owned an Genie S85 year 1999 serial 1978 (4 WD).
our problem is that we started engine. it would run and die after 05-06 seconds. we re-start and it is the same situation.
We take out the shutdown solenoid deutz. We can start and engine run normal but we can not stop engine as usual
our mechanic found that the shut down solenoid is not damaged, may be the wire to the solenoid is wrong or damage?
We dont know how to check it to fix this error ? Do you have some idea

Regards
Steven