• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deutz D2.9 L4

barnbuilder

The waterpump started leaking on the JLG 3394. I drained the "coolant" in a bucket. Had the smell of coolant but was black. I had to remove all the accessories from engine to get the waterpump off. The pump was hard to turn by hand. So since I purchased used I have no idea if someone just added water for coolant. Could it be black from that or could it be the EGR leaking? EGR looked clean from what I can see. I just spent $900 on parts so don't want to reassemble and have another issue. Is there a way to check EGR?

20210513_104810.jpg 20210517_144248.jpg

barnbuilder

So ordered a water pump from JLG in PA. It's installed just have to add coolant. I took a coolant sample to Deutz. They do have a blue coolant. So just waiting for sample results.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Did you send an oil sample as well? Usually, if you have an EGR fault, you'd have lost coolant through the exhaust. Your DOC and DPF would have thrown errors for inefficiency or failure to reach temperature. I'd look hard at your oil cooler. Is that still liquid or starting to sludge up like pudding.

barnbuilder

No I did not send an oil sample out. Hour meter has 141 on it. Oil was changed at 120 hours and looks new on dipstick. O pled ehr cooler off and it was clean from what I could see. Bearings went out on waterpump hard to turn.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
The image was misleading. It looked like chunky pudding. I would have been concerned about oil cooler failure. Let's see what your analysis comes back with. Fingers crossed.