• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Detroit 6v92 Rebuild Questions

cfherrman

Nobody knows how to work on these junk engines anymore, one consideration is that you would be able to learn how to work on them. I would also recommend to the owner not to take it to mechanic they will just mess it up.

Chevystepside

Sorry for the late reply, been so busy between starting my business and work. I appreciate the info. I don't know if an inframe is an option, someone with more experience than I could say for sure. The engine bay on the truck is extremely tight, unsure if it would have the space needed.
Yes they are very tight in the vehicle. We used to in frame them all the time back in the day. Two of the most difficultthings that you will probably have is = setting governer fuel rack. If the rack is not set right the engine will run away and may not shut off. Causing major damage to engine. Reinstalling the heads is another thing that will need to be carefully completed. As they used square o-rings for sealing the heads. One misplaced o-ring and you will have a leak of coolant or engine oil.

Lancer

Chevystepside

In my opinion Detroits are probably one of the worst engines to run at light loads, which I think being this is a water truck might be some of the problem.
2-stroke love full throttle = oil and military used these engine for more that 30yrs. Never idle a 2-stroke detriot and only use non detergent 30w or 40 motor oil. 15w40 will wipe the rings out from the detergent in the multi vis oil

Lancer

cfherrman

If you find the correct spec ashless 40 weight engine oil they run a lot better it's very strange but you definitely see a difference before and after

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
When I worked for the Detroit distributor back in the 70's it was always and only 30 wt Delo. No idling and drive it like you just slammed your hand in the door and take it out on the truck.
The trick with the rack is to keep it adjusted so all the injector arms roll over at the same time. If one is over tightened, the rest become too loose.

Vetech63

The entire fueling set up is critical for proper operation and maximum power. The governor has to be in the right full fuel position in relation to the injector full load. The types of governors will make a difference in the procedure itself. It's an art to do an injector height and fuel rack adjustment correctly along with the governor, buffer screw, idle adjustment, and full load rpm in relation to the position of the yield link.

I would suggest you get a service book or have someone that has some decent experience with Detroit engines. A wrong setting can be a disaster on those engines.