• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Detroit 10/71?

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I was watching "My Classic Car" on Motor Trend this morning and Dennis was touring a car show hosted at Lake George. He came across a replica Yenko Nova that had a 500 something cubic inch engine that was a showpiece and the owner claimed to have a 10/71 blower on it. I've never seen or heard of a 10/71 Detroit, does it exist?

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
I was watching "My Classic Car" on Motor Trend this morning and Dennis was touring a car show hosted at Lake George. He came across a replica Yenko Nova that had a 500 something cubic inch engine that was a showpiece and the owner claimed to have a 10/71 blower on it. I've never seen or heard of a 10/71 Detroit, does it exist?
No. 2, 3, 4, 6, V6, V8, V12, V16 only as far as I know.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Also a 1-71 existed as a genset engine

I wonder if they are calling it a 10-71 because it is whatever scale it would have been if there was a 10 cylinder engine. The blower was probably custom built not salvaged off an actual DD

MG84

I wonder if they are calling it a 10-71 because it is whatever scale it would have been if there was a 10 cylinder engine. The blower was probably custom built not salvaged off an actual DD
That was my thought, either an actual 8-71 blower that had been modified or something aftermarket.

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired

Good catch. I forgot about the 1 cyl.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
When I Googled 10V71 this came up:
Do you think it would hypothetically stay together at 6000RPM??

I've got the Ford 6.8V10 in an F550 at work and it sounds just like a V6. It's interesting how that works out.

I wondered if the 10/71 designation might be something made up for an aftermarket blower of the GM style.

crane operator

More than likely, the guy saying 10/71 just doesn't know what he's talking about.

Bought a historic drag car that is a "showpiece" - I'm betting someone else built the engine, maybe 30 years ago. I don't think the old detroit blowers are the current thing for building engines with.

Years ago it was a pretty common thing, but I don't think detroit blowers are near as common as they were then.

Today the ls 6.0's make some pretty stupid power without a lot of $$$, its the current hot rodders version of a blower.

cfherrman

Ford v10 has a split crank or whatever it's called where the companion cylinder journals are split a bit, makes for a smooth engine but it's not very strong. I don't think it would work on a diesel.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I wondered if the 10/71 designation might be something made up for an aftermarket blower of the GM style.
I'm pretty sure that is the answer. Like you say a blower of similar design to the Detroits but sized to put out the air flow of what a 10-71 Detroit would be pushing. The V series Detroits only actually used basically two different blowers. 6-71 used one blower and the 12-71 used two of the 6-71 blowers, The 8-71 used one blower and the 16-71 used two 8071 blowers. There were some variations in the blowers like large and small bearing versions. Also the seals were different depending on if the engine was turboed or not. I'm sure I'm leaving out some details but that is the major stuff I recall.

Actually did little work on inline 71's so my knowledge is not the best on them same for the 53's and 110's! The 149's I only had a chance to see a couple of those and never touched a wrench to one.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Just thought of one thing about priming a Detroit that may help. If using air pressure in the fuel tank it might be an idea to remove the return line form the engine so air pressure going in the return line is not fighting the pressure going in the supply line.

Then again if the fuel pump is not turning that will tend to restrict the fuel coming from the tank. One could crank the engine over until good steam of fuel spills out the restriction fitting where in return line is connected.

We did not have too much trouble priming Detroits as the ones in our Euclid trucks and some Mack off-highway trucks had tanks above the frame so those would gravity feed to prime. The 8V-71s in the IR drill rigs had low mounted tanks but came equipped with electric primer pumps and check valves so just push a button to prime!