• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Demolition, clearing and grading

tkoden

Yeah. I knew what you were talking about. Those would be scary as hell, especially with as fast as they spin. I can imagine hitting a nail plate and shooting nails out the top of that thing like a machine gun.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
A mulcher can easily throw a tree trunk, limb, steel T post, or a 2x4, as far as 300' in any direction. I can not see how you could use one for chopping up demolition materials if any home, or other structure was within that 300' radius. If I work near any roadway or public area, I have a spotter who lets me know when the danger area is clear of vehicles or people. I often do a lot of sitting and waiting for the area to clear before resuming mulching.
Jeff

Landclearer

As usual, another week with rainy days. We were able to get a little bit done. I dug a pool as well as subgraded and rocked a good bit of road.

Here are a few pics of the subgrade ready for rock.

logging 001.jpg

logging 002.jpg

logging 016.jpg

A load of crushed concrete ready to be spread.

logging 017.jpg

Spread and rolled for the weekend.

logging 019.jpg

Shimmy1

L.C., I'm looking for a brush/rock/rake bucket w/ grapple for my T770. I've been looking at quite a few, have had some good answers, wondering what your opinion is on the buckets that the ends of the teeth tip up? Can I assume that I could ride on that heel so it would be easier to point the teeth into or out of the dirt to pick up debris? This is what I'm referring to.

Attachments

• IMG_20150327_205534.jpg
    IMG_20150327_205534.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 333

Landclearer

Hey Shimmy,

I would prefer the teeth to not tip up. If they are up, you will always have to have your rake rolled over partially to get anything on it. I always liked a regular loader style rake instead of the L types. Solsbee Mfg builds one for a skid steer that is a baby version of our trackloader rake. I would also look at Bradco rakes. I do think a good bit of it is about personal preference so what I like might not be what others like. I would stay away from the crossbar if possible.

Landclearer

Here are a couple of the pool dig. Moving the KX 080 in and the dig itself. I just do the digging, they supply the trimmers.

logging 014.jpg

logging 006.jpg

logging 007.jpg

logging 008.jpg

logging 009.jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Nice work as usual buddy!:drinkup

I assume the crushed concrete is base material? Do ya'll usually put down the base on subdivision roads? In my area we cut the sub grade and get it passed then turn it over the pavers who put base and asphalt down.

Landclearer

Nice work as usual buddy!:drinkup

I assume the crushed concrete is base material? Do ya'll usually put down the base on subdivision roads? In my area we cut the sub grade and get it passed then turn it over the pavers who put base and asphalt down.

Thanks CM. Yes we put the base down and fine grade it for paving. Yes the crushed concrete is base. On this job it is 6 inches of base and 2 inches of asphalt. The only time the paving contractor does the base around here is in DOT jobs where they spec black base.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Cool, I like learning how things are done in other areas.

The standard spec around here for "light duty" paving is 6:2:1. 6" base, 2" binder and 1" wear course. "Heavy duty" paving is 8:2:1. The light and heavy duty mostly pertain to the small commercial jobs we do. Heavy duty paving for areas where the delivery and garbage trucks come in and out, light duty for everything else.

Most residential streets that will dedicated to a municipality are 6:2:1.

Landclearer

Light duty for us is 6 and 2. Heavy duty is 8 and 1.5 and 1.5. Often the two layers of asphalt are both surface and no binder. Like you said, delivery and dumpster areas are heavy duty. DOT specs vary on the job.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
DOT specs vary on the job.

No doubt, when it comes the DOT. I've got a small intersection improvement CO on the current auto store we are working on. I don't remember the exact spec at the moment but it's a 4 or 5 layer build up of asphalt. When it comes the DOT, overkill with over engineering is normally the course if someone else other than the DOT is paying the bill..

Landclearer

No doubt, when it comes the DOT. I've got a small intersection improvement CO on the current auto store we are working on. I don't remember the exact spec at the moment but it's a 4 or 5 layer build up of asphalt. When it comes the DOT, overkill with over engineering is normally the course if someone else other than the DOT is paying the bill..

That is one thing about DOT, they are going to get everything they can out of a developer. Every time you build a subdivision, they make you widen the road in front of the project with turning lanes and so. We joke that they widen roads by making the developers do it around here.

tylermckee

Funny how different paving is across the country, around here most residential roads are 8" base, 3" crushed surface, 3" HMA. private driveways/parking lots are usually 6" base, 2" crushed, 2" HMA

Landclearer

Funny how different paving is across the country, around here most residential roads are 8" base, 3" crushed surface, 3" HMA. private driveways/parking lots are usually 6" base, 2" crushed, 2" HMA

Wow, that is a lot different than around here. Inland, we have some real bad ground, you would think that they would do more than they do here.

buckfever

Wow you guys have it nice with the paving. Around here it's 4" of 25mm then 1.5" 19mm then a 1.5" of wear ( usually 9 mm).

Oxbow

Interesting!

Here on county subdivisions we are generally 9" pit run, 3" 3/4 minus crushed, and 3" asphalt that usually has to be seal coated prior to passing it off to the county. More similar to tylermckee's area.

Occasionally we are required to put down geotextile fabric and/or geogrid beneath it all if it is a wet area.