• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere vs cat wheel loader

Pete1468

Getting to demo 544k loader against my 928g tomorrow. Sales man biggest selling point is dif lock. I bucked into a sand pile real quick and wasn't impressed as I couldn't lift a bucket full while pushing against it like the 10,000 hr cat. Anyone else run the same demo or run a deere?

Pete1468

Demoed a 930 M cat today, transmission takes a little too get used to but holy cow is that a machine compared to the deere. I liked my 928g but I don't think it will take long running a930 to make me forget about the 928. The hydraulics are quick then the deere.

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
Never saw a need for diff lock on a loader because filling the bucket is a matter of close coordination of hoist, tilt and throttle to minimize tire slippage in my experience.
Mike

Pete1468

We don't need diff lock for loading gravel, digging a road ditch getting on the slopes most people won't do is where it's needed. We use loaders to dig ditches unless it's too wet to get in and out of.

DGODGR

I currently own a 544j and I still prefer the Cat loaders. My Deere salesman tried to tout the differential lock to me as well but I find that the limited slip Cat performs better for me. I also can feel the weight shift and prefer the feedback I get from the bucket on the Cat.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
The Town I work for has a 544K on demo, they have an ancient Samsung loader about the same size that needs to be replaced and my buddy also complains about the digging power. He says the old Samsung digs better and is much more stable with the bucket in the air. The machine is used primarily to load salt on the highway trucks.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I guess I didn't explain it well, my buddy prefers the old Samsung over the new Deere. The complaints are about the Deere for lack of power and less stable. Sorry!

Paystar

Occupation
Retired trucking owner/operator
I used to worship Cat and had no interest in the older Komatsu's. But now that I have been running the new Komatsu's.....nothing compares. For me anyway.
The hydrostatic drive on the smaller machines is really nice. And they are fast. But the one I really like is the WA500-6,7 and 8's.
They are so quiet in the cab the only way you can tell the engine is running is by looking at the gauges. The LED lighting package is awesome, they are smooth, lots of power. And I like having both the joystick steering and still having a steering wheel in there too.

And no regen or emission issues so far.