• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 450C won't steer

StxRancher

If I push on a dead load both tracks will spin, and if I pull back either side lever that track will stop.. But will make a super wide turn if not pushing on something..like brake is not working..I got the manual and tried adjusting brake and still no success..anyone?

lantraxco

Do you have any foot pedal brake at all? The foot pedal just applies both steering brakes at the same time. It's been decades but as I recall you have to adjust the wheel adjuster for each brake band first and then the linkage for each lever, and finally the linkage for the brake pedal. Usually though adjusting the brake band is enough, unless they're totally toasted.

StxRancher

No,I don't have any braking ability at all with the pedal. It is way out of adjustment. When I depress pedal all the way to the floor, the brake linkage is barely engaging. I have spun brake wheels about 5-6 revolutions and still cannot steer with levers. When I stick a screw driver in brake assembly, the brake assembly has quite a bit of play. This is my first dozer and it's new to me. I have no knowledge of any work done by previous owner.

lantraxco

I don't recall the exact procedure for the 450C but typically on these steering brakes you run the adjuster wheel down until it's snug and then back off a certain amount for running clearance, it will tell you in the manual. If you run out of adjustment it's time for new brake bands.....

StxRancher

I think i am going to tear into it this weekend and remove the covers to inspect it. I didn't want to have to tear into it and was hoping there were alternatives..lol

StxRancher

Update...I did notice that when I pull either steering lever, the brake is stuck in the "engaged" mode and doesn't move all, almost like they are seized on the brake mode..I pulled rops off now removing fuel tank and battery compartment and hydraulics

d9gdon

Make sure there's not a piece of brush wedged in the brake linkage underneath tractor, I've had that happen on one before.

Labparamour

I'm always impressed with the knowledge of the members here on HEF and their willingness to help. I know they'll be able to walk you through the repair.
I've had an old 450B for a few years and early on had to tear into the brake/steering clutch on one side- certainly not fun. And, it seems there are no easy (meaning quick or cheap) fixes on crawlers!
Another site that has helpful members is the JDCrawlers.com. http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/index.php

One member there had a nicely documented thread on redoing the steering clutches on his 450B.

Good luck.

DB

StxRancher

Ok, I've taken off the covers and got the brakes exposed. Is there supposed to be oil inside where brakes are? My brakes have plenty of liner left

lantraxco

Yup, the old so called dry steer clutches and turning brakes tended to rust together if they sat too long, especially in moist climes like the Northwet (sic) so Deere went to wet steer clutches and brake bands. Probably just needs more adjustment and/or some spray lube and exercise. Sounds like the linkage may be going over center somewhere or sticking.

StxRancher

What I don't get is that the brake linkage was in the engaged mode and stuck there, but it didn't burn brakes out..any thoughts anyone?

lantraxco

Well, maybe not burned out, but apparently not holding either. Maybe just way out of adjustment and lots of lining worn off. There's a minimum measurement for the band lining, but I don't have that information here.

StxRancher

Prior to tearing into it, I was trying to adjust thru cap on side..it was very loose, and linkage was stuck in brake position..

lantraxco

T31245_________UN31MAY89.jpg

As I recall with the linkage fully released the wheel #4 should be tightened until it comes up snug, then backed off... something. A turn? Anybody? Your manual should say. If you can't adjust it enough for the band to come up tight with the linkage fully released, the band is worn beyond usable limits I believe.