• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

decel ?

Trashman

Occupation
Garboligist
I totally agree with grampa and Aussie Leroy. They foot the bill, you run like they want. Personally, if the machine has a decel, I use it. It taint there to scrape the mud off your boots.

Agreed

t3chw00di

Yellow Deere mechanic told that the J-series and newer dozers have an adjustable FNR modulation to fit the operator preferences. Also, the decel pedal can be set to either decel engine and tracks like a gear dozer or decel the tracks and keep the engine up. One could set it with a tight FNR modulation and tracks-only decel and it would be getting close to running a track loader. The decel would sub for the v control.

hvy 1ton is absolutely correct. If you go into the computer on the dash of that 750J you can set it however you want the FNR lever to react. You can set it slow and smooth or quite aggressive direction changes. I prefer the middle setting. You can also set the decellerator response in the same way. When you press the decellerator you can have it really smooth and the machine keeps rolling to slow stop or you can set it really aggressive so it's like you put your foot on the brake without pushing the pedal past the detent brake position. Again, I prefer the middle setting with that one also. As was also mentioned you can set it so the pedal either slows the engine and machine or just slows the machine while leaving the engine at full revs, which would be good if your hydraulics were a bit too slow when the engine is idled down. I prefer the default (pedal slows the engine). You can also set the hydraulic speed/sensitivity in the computer. Having the pedal there just gives the operator more control, but it definately doesn't NEED to be used for changing directions. The computer takes care of all that, and yes the engine is just running a pump. The owner just doesn't understand the technology built into the dozer. Sorry to say but it's he that should read the manual.

My 2 cents. :)

Big Iron

Occupation
Project Manager
i use the decel on every machine that has one. why? because i'm old and that the way i was taught. that being said you adjust the speed change direction to however you like it and it probably won't hurt anything. unfoutunatly in my 40 years of operating not every sititution is not the same, by using the decel you can custom tune each direction change to suit the environment. enough more beer now.

ILLICEMAN

Occupation
FARMER ex CHEVY DEALER
I have a JD 750 C II.I had cats before.The cats as most know use a torque converter with the PS trans.I always used the decel when changing directions.I felt it was easier on me and the machine.
On the 750 as with all hydro machines to change the direction you change the swashplate angle in the pump section of the unit.As the angle changes it always goes to a neutral position when changing directions.While you might not feel this it does this everytime.
I still use my decel alot of the time due to habit or working in close quarters but there is really no need in most operations on a hydro machine.