• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dayton to buds

dirtmonkey

Occupation
dozer monkey , self employed
My dad has a 79 gmc 7000 series with 900 20 Dayton wheels. This truck has hydraulic brakes. Can he put bud wheels on the front only ? This is his BABY that he started the biz with in 79 and finally wants to get rid of those bouncing ******wheels ! He would love any input y'all have thanks :)
PS he's a closet HEFer.

dirtmonkey

Occupation
Pop has been told yes you can but you would have to go to air brakes? He has also been told no. Can any one give any insight to this. I know this is kind of an odd ball question but now that he's semi retired he's wanting to tinker. Any comments would make him very happy:)

tireman

Yes, but the reason for the bounce is not the Dayton wheels.The bounce is most likely caused by either being bias ply or an out of round/separated tire(providing the shocks are good). If possible, post a close up pic of the steer wheels as the truck sits right now. Are we sure that we're not misconstruing a bad wobble (from the wheels not being trued on the hub) for a bounce? Just asking, no offense intended.

Last edited:

dirtmonkey

Occupation
Yes, but the reason for the bounce is not the Dayton wheels.The bounce is most likely caused by either being bias ply or an out of round/separated tire(providing the shocks are good). If possible, post a close up pic of the steer wheels as the truck sits right now. Are we sure that we're not misconstruing a bad wobble (from the wheels not being trued on the hub) for a bounce? Just asking, no offense intended.
No offense here Tireman. Knowing pop, yes , it probably needs shocks:rolleyes:lol.
It's always a pain to get who ever changes the tires to true them up. Especially the " younger generation". I think that's the reason he wants to swap , he's tired of dealing with that. If I can get a pic , I'll post or pm you. Thanks!

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
I hate Dayton wheels, it just takes a little longer to get them trued up. It seems like unless I do it my self, its a wobble or shake and then I have to do it anyway. This setup never rides and drives like the Bud wheels. If the stops on the rims are worn, or broke, you never will get them straight
I keep the old coke bottle ready, just in case I end up buying another truck with Dayton rims
I really dont think you can change them out, just checkout what you have try to fix what you have. You can change the rims to a tubeless type and that will ride better

truckdoctor

Occupation
mechanic
You can definitely change to budds. You'll need to find some hubs and brake drums off the same model axles as your truck has. Then the process is the same as changing wheel bearings except that you put the budd hubs on instead of the daytons. It' s not a huge deal to change the hubs it just might be expensive to change unless someone has a truck they are parting out.

tireman

I hate Dayton wheels, it just takes a little longer to get them trued up. It seems like unless I do it my self, its a wobble or shake and then I have to do it anyway. This setup never rides and drives like the Bud wheels. If the stops on the rims are worn, or broke, you never will get them straight
I keep the old coke bottle ready, just in case I end up buying another truck with Dayton rims
I really dont think you can change them out, just checkout what you have try to fix what you have. You can change the rims to a tubeless type and that will ride better

The stops on the rims have nothing whatsoever to do with getting them true.Their only purpose is to prevent the shearing of the valve stem if they happen to spin the hub.It's actually extremely simple to true them up.You can get them very close on initial placement just by watching the end of the spoke and the rim(singles) or the spoke end and the wedge(duals). IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!!! It's common sense. Although they are quite ugly to look at, Dayton wheels are much more durable than disc wheels,especially stud piloted discs.For those that don't know,stud piloted means that the weight is carried by and the wheels are centered by the studs(aka acorn seat-original Budd wheels that required 10 nuts for inner wheel and 10 for outer wheel).Plus you only need a good 1/2 inch drive gun (or breaker bar) to service them, as they only require about 275 foot pounds of torque, as opposed to just under 400 for disc wheels. note-the silver one inch impacts(IR) you see used are good for about 1100 ft lbs, the blue ones(CP) about 1600ft. lbs, so when you see a guy hammering your lug nuts with either one, he's tearing up your hardware. Never let anyone use either on a Dayton wheel, unless you wanna buy new studs every wheel change, and eventually new hubs because the stud holes are stripped and wallowed out.

Last edited:

tireman

No offense here Tireman. Knowing pop, yes , it probably needs shocks:rolleyes:lol.
It's always a pain to get who ever changes the tires to true them up. Especially the " younger generation". I think that's the reason he wants to swap , he's tired of dealing with that. If I can get a pic , I'll post or pm you. Thanks!

You are having the wrong people service your vehicle, sounds like to me.Granted, good tire men are not as plentiful as they once were, but it doesn't take a seasoned pro to true a wheel.Go somewhere that specializes in commercial tires, not a place that "will do them".

tireman

This setup never rides and drives like the Bud wheels. You can change the rims to a tubeless type and that will ride better

There is absolutely no way, aside from a wobble from rims being not true, that you can tell the difference between Daytons and Budds from inside the cab.PERIOD!!
Tubeless or tube-type has zero affect on the ride quality.That is determined (as far as the tire/wheel assembly is concerned) by the tire type(ie radial vs. bias) and the air pressure. Don't mean to pick on you, sir, just trying to keep the facts straight so as to assist this man with his inquiry.

dirtmonkey

Occupation
You are having the wrong people service your vehicle, sounds like to me.Granted, good tire men are not as plentiful as they once were, but it doesn't take a seasoned pro to true a wheel.Go somewhere that specializes in commercial tires, not a place that "will do them".
Well , thats partly the prob . I think most who service his truck just don't want to work that " hard " if you know what I mean.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
sorry if I ruffled your feathers tireman, but I just didnt get off the apple cart and what I wrote was my 25 years of owning and serving my trucks. I agree its not rocket science, but it does take common sense, science as you said
There are not many tire shops out there now, that has the old school tiremen, that dealt with Dayton rims everyday and they will mess a stud up, in a heart beat
good info on the impact wrenchs
I have had to replace the hub for Dayton rims, because the stops as you call them, something happened to them, I think they were worn, from not being trued correctly
This is just my experience

tireman

I'm thinking what you are calling stops must be the wedge at the rear of the spokes that the wheels align on.Yes, that is a wear point. You didn't ruffle my feathers, no apology necessary.:beerchug

TCS

There is absolutely no way, aside from a wobble from rims being not true, that you can tell the difference between Daytons and Budds from inside the cab.PERIOD!!
Tubeless or tube-type has zero affect on the ride quality.That is determined (as far as the tire/wheel assembly is concerned) by the tire type(ie radial vs. bias) and the air pressure. Don't mean to pick on you, sir, just trying to keep the facts straight so as to assist this man with his inquiry.

I totally agree with you tireman.Properly installed and balanced Dayton wheels will ride as well as any Budd or Hub Pilot wheel.For any owner operator that does his own maint, and can master truing up a Dayton wheel,it is far easier and less time consuming than dealing with any ball seat Budd wheel. We converted to Budds years ago just for the appearance and it took me a longtime "until Hub Pilots came out" to like them.

dirtmonkey

Occupation
From wht I can tell , this just confirms what he's been thinking. While he would love to have a " pretty " set of budd wheels, sounds like to much trouble for him to covert. Let's face it , he's been dealing with this since 79. If it was that bad he would have changed them ALONG time ago. He told me yesterday he' ll just keep driving it like it is. Besides , his Peterbilt has the best AC ! Like you said Tireman , any one worth their salt can keep'em maintained and pop is pretty salty! LOL thanks for you're replys:beerchug