• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D8 trans removal

asminc3

Hi All I have an older D8H ( 46A27000) machine and I need to pull the trans and convertor out, do you have to remove the final drives to get it out and about how heavy are they? Thanks.

Chuck

Bob/Ont

No, take off the floor plates and seat frame, then skidpans. Take converter and trans out the top. You likely have heavy contamination so exch or clean cooler. wash all lines thoroughly. Then take the steering clutch covers off and wash out the back end. If contamination is really bad clutches should come out and be washed and the bevel gear shaft bearings checked too. It's a big job if you want it to last a full service life.
Later Bob

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Sometimes its easier to drop it out the bottom, then you don't have to mess with all the steering and brake linkages. Drive machine up on block so you have enough room to get it out. If you have a cab on it out the bottom is for sure the best way.

Bluox

Torque divider 850# ,transmission 2000# If you ask this question about final drives you might want to hire someone who knows how to do this job.
Bob

22a

Have lifted them out through the top with a Cat 933 on the back of single axle tipper.

asminc3

Thanks for the info I do have a friend that I talked to last night and he works on cat equipment he said he would help me out, we will have the machine inside a building with an over head hoist that is rated for 4000 lbs. so I should be Ok to lift everything out. Thanks again.