• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6T wont go ahead or back help!!

deep n cheep

Went to run my cat dt6 dozer today and I could not get it to go forward or backward. All other functions work like the ripper and the blade all function properly. I can hear the differential hum when I try to turn left or right, but it wont go forward or back. The warning brake light comes on along with a bunch of codes. I was wondering any one has been through this before or would know where to start? I looked all over and did not see any wires cut. The codes that popped up are as follows.

Numbfingers

Occupation
mechanic
Went to run my cat dt6 dozer today and I could not get it to go forward or backward. All other functions work like the ripper and the blade all function properly. I can hear the differential hum when I try to turn left or right, but it wont go forward or back. The warning brake light comes on along with a bunch of codes. I was wondering any one has been through this before or would know where to start? I looked all over and did not see any wires cut. The codes that popped up are as follows.
If you put your serial number up, somebody might be able to help. However, shooting off the hip, if you have brake warning light with codes and it won't move, I would take a look at brake pressure. It's required to release your brakes so you can move.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Kind of sounds like the park brake switch is bad. Someone should be along with what those code numbers mean. If any of those are live they should have had something like Svc or something similar along with the code.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Your codes are: -
622.02 - transmission upshift switch
299.08 - transmission lever position sensor
673.02 - transmission speed sensor #2
585.02 - transmission speed sensor #1
689.05 - left brake solenoid
468.03 - brake pedal position sensor
588.09 - power train ECM not receiving data from Monitor system

Has the tractor been sitting for a while or did it just sit overnight and you came back the next day and it had the problem..?
Without a Serial Number it's difficult to pinpoint but my bet would be on an electrical connector somewhere that is either loose or has damp/corrosion inside it.

deep n cheep

It had been sitting for 3 days. The serial number is LAY1628. I think that it is a wire or a connector some where. Is there a spot where the wires for all of those sensors in the codes meet up at?

John C.

Occupation
Are all the codes active? I would probably start looking around the left side console and below or behind the dash panel modules.

This is the kind of thing that end users really hate about electronics.

Nige

I agree with John. The common factor in all these Codes is that they are generated by the Power Train ECM inside the LH console. I think I would start by removing the 2 x 70-pin connectors on that ECM, clean them with contact cleaner and reconnect. See where that gets you. A copy of the electrical schematic is below.

Attachments

• KENR5131-04 - Late D6R III & D6T Electrical Schematic.PDF
    864.9 KB · Views: 37

deep n cheep

I finally figured out what was wrong. We took the whole cab apart, took the seat out and managed to find a wire had been chewed into by a rat. It was the wire that controlled the brake which is why it would not move. There was also about three inches of dirt and crud that we also blew out while we were there. Nearest thing that we can figure is that a rat must have crawled out of one of the trees that we had been removing a couple of days before. The sun of a gun then went under the cab and ate the wire into, we got very lucky that he only ate that wire as it could have been a lot worse. Thanks for all of the help.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Sounds like someone needs to clean a little more often, Vermin seldom take a liking to a machine unless sits a while, not generally just a day or so. This may have been a nest that was on the machine a while and finally the wire sheared away. I would also be dropping pans and shields to see where else there are nests and wads of combustibles.

Hobbytime

Any of my equipment that will sit for any amount of time I put a dish of old fashion moth balls in the cab and sprinkle a few under the machine, nothing likes the smell and all animals stay away, and when ready to use I just remove the moth balls and in an hour the machine has no real smell in the cab..that goes for tool boxes or anything else you dont want mice, rats or bigger critters messing with...

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
After my last rat repair and taking a litter of kittens out of an idle machine we started putting rat poison in any machine sitting longer than a few days.

Tarhe Driver

Occupation
Comm. Real Est Appraiser-Retired cargo/helo pilot
The sun of a gun then went under the cab and ate the wire into, we got very lucky that he only ate that wire as it could have been a lot worse. Thanks for all of the help.[/QUOTE]

Wire covers are often made from material from soy beans, a food.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I had a D6R that lost power to the cab . Found a nice mouse nest in the fuse box with many chewed wires, some chewed right through.

yzrider13

I have a D6T with same problem. Found bad wire on harness to transmission and a bad wire on brake solenoid fixed wire and replaced the solenoid. Everything worked as should so I zip tied everything back up decided to test one more time before putting covers and seat all back on and it is alarming out again. The original reason for the start of all this was the hose to the transmission filter was leaking so we replaced it and its gone south from there. Any help would be appreciated. CAT00D6TLDJG00505

Nige

You say you have an alarm, I'm assuming you also have a Diagnostic Code.? Which one.?
If you're not sure how to find Codes, briefly press the switch to the right of the display window twice when the display is in hourmeter mode. The Diagnostic Codes will scroll through one after the other. What you are looking for is a Code (or Codes) where the SERV CODE icon on the RH side of the window lights up. You will see where it is when you first turn on the key and the panel does the self-test.
SERV CODE means the particular Code is Active. It will display in two stages as something like 113 672 03.
Note which Active Codes you have and post them here.

upload_2020-3-15_21-51-1.png

John C.

Occupation
Here is a video showing how to get to the fault codes in a D8T monitor. It should be the same as a D6T.