• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6T steering problems

turbo8781

Occupation
retired
Just bought a 2008 d6t with just under 3k hrs. on it it was delivered while we were gone on a fire. when we finaly got back to test it out i noticed what i think is a steering problem. (never ran one with diff steering before)

it won't completely stop the inside track when you turn it as hard as it will go. i always thought that they were suposed to counter rotate when equiped with diff. steering and you can hear the hydraulic pump howl when turning sharp.
now if you're sitting still in nuetral and you move the tiller lever it will counter rotate but it seems week and both tracks won't move at the same speed (one forward one reverse).
I haven't pushed anything yet because we technically haven't bought it yet and the guy said if its not everything he said it would be that he would take it back so i don't want to put a mark on it but it will climb the rock pile just fine and tracks strait ahead just fine.
maybe someone can shed some light on this.
thanx,
turbo

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
It won't counter steer when the tractor is moving in the forward or reverse direction when you move the diff steer control lever to maximum. All the diff steer does is, up to a point anyway, is to speed up one track and slow down in the other one to make the tractor turn.

With the tractor stopped by design the diff steer system will counter rotate, however it's not specifically designed to do that. The diff steer system is designed to work at its best when the tractor is moving.

If you want a copy of the System Operation for the steering on your 6T drop me a PM with the machine Serial Number and your email address.

Last edited:

turbo8781

Occupation
retired
Thanx nige, I was just really worried when i was turning and it wouldn't even lock up the inside track but if thats the way its supposed to be then thats ok.
when i get the ser# i will pm you a pm it would be nice to have a copy.

thanx,
turbo