• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6r questions

Jatreecompany

I have a 1999 D6r. Always ran fine.
Brought it into shop couple months ago and painted it and it's been sitting for about 2/3 weeks been moved around parking lot occasionally. Went to work it today and operator took it up on a side hill and called me said it was making noise. I got there and when you crank it I knocks only for a moment then stops but it smokes pretty bad. I'm certain it's fuel smoke. Turn it off then crank it back immediately it won't knock but if it sits a minute or two then it knocks only for three or four knocks then stops. Smoke never clears up. Operator said it knocked a little when revved all the way up but I was scared to rev it that high until further investigation. It only has 4500hrs or so. Never any major repairs. I thought possibly injector bad and it was loading cylinder with fuel. I cracked each line individually and it doesn't stop smoking. However when I cracked the second injector from the front it kinda blows air out beside the nut instead of fuel. When cracked all injectors seem to cause the enjoins to miss as they should. Took intake side boot off of turbo and it spins freely and there is no play in it. I have a video but it won't let me upload. I can email to anyone that might be able to help. Thanks

Dickjr.

I was around a D7F that had the 3306 in it that had a stuck injector that was not firing. The cylinder had a knock pretty bad like something was coming loose inside. I would think it would be something simple like that. The experts should chime in shortly. This tractor is an early one with the throttle lever like the 6H ? If so , IMO they were the better 6R made.

Jatreecompany

Yes I'm leaning toward a stuck injector also but just not sure how to quickly diagnose which one IF however that is the issue. THANKS

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
One diagnosis is to work it a bit and take temps of the exhaust manifold. If you've got a dead hole it'll be cooler than the others. I assume all the valves are set right? No broken pushrods, rocker arms etc. Sounds like an injector though.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
If there's one that's not right it may show up at idle even. If one hole is running rich or lean you should be able to see it in temps. It's one non-invasive test anyway. I suspect you'll see a difference in the one cylinder you mentioned. There's still a hundred other options unfortunately. Perhaps one of the Cat gurus will add their .02.

Cmark

I think the big clue is the air blowing from your #2 injector. The tip may have fallen out. It happens when they get overheated. How's the coolant level?

Jatreecompany

It was ran hot a month or so ago because of bottom radiator hose was leaking.
Is there a way to definitely tell its the number two injector without pulling the injector? If not that's fine just curious before I pull it.
Is there anything particular I need to know before pulling the injector?

Jatreecompany

Pulled the second injector from the front. The tip is missing. Should I pull the head off and inspect it do you think it just sent the tip on through the exhaust?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Can you get hold of a borescope..? If so you can take a look into the cylinder via the hole where the injector fits.
My thought would be that, depending on how large the broken piece was, it's most likely disappeared up the chimney. However it's a case of what other havoc has it wreaked on its way up there that you need to know.

Jatreecompany

I will try and find a boroscope.
It's just the cap on the injector that has the small orifices in it that is misssing. The injector tip isn't broken off.

Cmark

What's missing looks like a steel rod, about 1/4" x 1/2" long. Sometimes it will bend a valve, sometimes it will break up and go up the flue, sometimes it will embed itself in the top of the piston. At the very least, you need to do a borescope inspection. I'd advise mentally preparing yourself for pulling the head. Oh, and replace all the other injectors.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I'd still go with the borescope if you can get hold of one. You actually need one with a flexible (rotatable?) end so that you can shove it down the hole then turn the end using the external control so as to enable you to look upwards at the cylinder head to see the condition of the valves and the head itself. Of course any marks on the top of the piston would be an indication that whatever fell out of the end of the injector has been crushed between the piston and the head but there's nothing like being able to see both sides.