• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6r grid heater

Newibiner

Hello,
D6r serial ade000634

Is it possible to add the grid heater to this machine? I assume Cat would have to program the ecm to enable the grid heater. The machine has the ether injection already. The dozer has a tile plow on it, so plugging the block heater in the middle of a field is not real handy.

Thank you,
Shawn

Nige

Is it possible to add the grid heater to this machine? I assume Cat would have to program the ecm to enable the grid heater.
It appears as though it is possible. It appears as though the existing studs will be long enough to accept the heater element, but good luck getting the nuts off them. It looks as though the installation may also require the addition of a relay. See attached. I'll send you the electrical schematic, the AIH setup is easier to understand on that document.
upload_2022-12-9_4-6-18.png
I'm not sure if the heater would have to be programmed in the engine ECM. It may be that all that's required is to plug in the heater relay and when the key is turned on the heater is automatically powered if the ambient temp is below a certain value.
The machine has the ether injection already.
Is there a problem with the ECM-controlled ether.?

Attachments

• 118-7284 AIH.pdf
    135.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Newibiner

The ether system does work, I rather leave that as a last resort. I just think having a grid heater would be nice addition.

Thanks for the help

Nige

BTW Cat no longer sells the 1U-8846 gasket sealant listed in the parts. The equivalent is Loctite 5127 High Flex Form-In-Place Gasket. When you install the heater make sure that air inlet eblow can't pull any dust through, or you will be in for a replacement engine in quick style.

Delmer

I've always heard ether and grid heaters, or glow plugs, were a one OR the other, never both on the same engine. Ether injection is completely different from a can of starting fluid, one is controlled, one is not.

Newibiner

BTW Cat no longer sells the 1U-8846 gasket sealant listed in the parts. The equivalent is Loctite 5127 High Flex Form-In-Place Gasket. When you install the heater make sure that air inlet eblow can't pull any dust through, or you will be in for a replacement engine in quick style.

Roger that, thank you.

Nige

I've always heard ether and grid heaters, or glow plugs, were a one OR the other, never both on the same engine. Ether injection is completely different from a can of starting fluid, one is controlled, one is not.
I was going to suggest to go into the ECM Config screen and deactivate the ether injection once the intake heater was installed.
I wouldn't fancy having a heater and ether both potentially active at the same time.