• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6k2 excessive cab noise

Roadgrader

I have been running d5k2 and decided to move up to a d6k2. The noise from the hydro and gears is so loud that it hurts my ears. Any pushing from 1.2 and up makes it start screaming and turning even gets louder. I generally push at 1.8 and its really loud at that speed. This is a brand new machine and the dealer has come out and said that no one else has ever said that the d6k2 had noise issues. They ran the dozer and admitted that it was loud. They have since picked up the machine to check it out and found nothing wrong. They have ran other d6k2s and are now saying there's no difference in the noise levels. Both the d5k2 and d6k2 are rated at 76 db cab noise. There is so much difference in the noise level in my d5k2 and the new d6k2 that I can't stand it. I ran it about 7 hours before it went back and my ears hurt for 3 days. Does anyone here have a d6k2 that they run themselves that has this problem?

Roadgrader

I was looking at a komatsu d51 ex22 also but went with the cat. If anyone has any running time on the d51 I would appreciate thier thoughts on it.

bigshow

I've ran a 6K1 and hated everything about it, as did every co-worker that ran it as well. We got a brand new 3K2 that is one of the best trim tractors I have ever ran. I think they dropped the ball on the 6K series...

Roadgrader

Mine seems to be under powered on top of the noise. Was noise and power your biggest complaints?

Roadgrader

I had a case 650k before the d5k2 and it was a great little hard pushing dozer, it would over heat after periods of hard pushing though. When I got the d5k2 which was about 45000 more expensive I was not impressed. It had less push power and turned much slower. I finally got used to it and the Eco mode saves fuel but it could be a much better dozer. It needs more power and it has bad ac it's been checked and its doing all it can do. Even on cloudy days when it's in the mid 70s I run the ac wide open and it never gets cold. If the sun is out and in the 80s or above your always sweating. I ran a rental d5k2 and it was the same way.

LDK

I have been running a 3k, 6K and 6N this season. The 2 sixes came in brand new and the 3 had a couple of thousand hours on it. The N had the best AC by far and the 6K the worst of the trio. This 6K cab is not real noisy but not the quietest I have been in either, it does push well, the main thing I don't like about it is the lag between direction changes. The only other 6K I had ran before this one was an LGP, that pushed well also and I did not notice the direction change lag on that one. However it had system one running gear on it with those turreted front idlers and it used to bounce like hell when the front of the tracks started up a slope, at least this one does not do that.
I would not want another 3K XL because I think they would benefit from another roller in the frame, maybe the LGP is better? I am not a big fan of the eco modes and I don't use it,but then I don't buy the fuel.
The best D3's I ever ran was the first model that came out in the 70's, that was a nice tractor in my opinion.

Ksdirtwork

Was wondering did they ever find out what was causing it I have d6k and was going to step up to k2 but the noise is unbearable loud as you said when turning around 1.8 to 2.2

Roadgrader

Was wondering did they ever find out what was causing it I have d6k and was going to step up to k2 but the noise is unbearable loud as you said when turning around 1.8 to 2.2

They took the dozer back checked it even put different gears in the drives so they said. Made no difference. Being cat they finally said that I had ear problems. I made them take the dozer back. I now have a komatsu d39. Wanted a d51 but couldn't get one for several months.

Dickjr.

They took the dozer back checked it even put different gears in the drives so they said. Made no difference. Being cat they finally said that I had ear problems. I made them take the dozer back. I now have a komatsu d39. Wanted a d51 but couldn't get one for several months.

Is your 39 a -22 or -23 model? Does it suit you and the type work you do? Do you do a lot of heavy pushing ?

Roadgrader

Is your 39 a -22 or -23 model? Does it suit you and the type work you do? Do you do a lot of heavy pushing ?

It does everything the d5k2 would do. It's more quiet than the d5. It handled differently and took about 20 hours to get used to but now I can fine grade as well with it as the d5. The attitude of cat that there equipment is the best and the customer is always wrong plus they are more expensive has grown thin with me and many others in my area. A lot of people are switching to komatsu. I have a 290 komatsu track hoe that's built here in TN and it's been a great machine also. I think the d6k2 is built in France.

Roadgrader

It does everything the d5k2 would do. It's more quiet than the d5. It handled differently and took about 20 hours to get used to but now I can fine grade as well with it as the d5. The attitude of cat that there equipment is the best and the customer is always wrong plus they are more expensive has grown thin with me and many others in my area. A lot of people are switching to komatsu. I have a 290 komatsu track hoe that's built here in TN and it's been a great machine also. I think the d6k2 is built in France.

D39 is the wide track.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
You need to just skip the D6K and move on up to the D6N.Your be a lot happier in the long way.Good luck

Dickjr.

You need to just skip the D6K and move on up to the D6N.Your be a lot happier in the long way.Good luck

The price jump from a 6k to a 6N is substantial in its self , the price of a 5k or 39-22 is half of a 6N. Depending upon project task and what people are willing to pay the larger tractor will not make a penny more , in some cases it will cost the owner more. Granted I realize the production is less , but at 100$ per hour the smaller tractor is the bread winner. 6N fetches about 150$ here. I was told at one time that if the machine costs 250,000$ that it needs to make .01% of its cost per hour to come out on it. Once again I'd love to be dozing with the old 6H I had , it rode a lot smother and was productive. At one time there was enough work to make a living off bigger tractors around here. The decline of work , plus rise of fuel costs made it hard to stay out of the red.

Ksdirtwork

The price jump from a 6k to a 6N is substantial in its self , the price of a 5k or 39-22 is half of a 6N. Depending upon project task and what people are willing to pay the larger tractor will not make a penny more , in some cases it will cost the owner more. Granted I realize the production is less , but at 100$ per hour the smaller tractor is the bread winner. 6N fetches about 150$ here. I was told at one time that if the machine costs 250,000$ that it needs to make .01% of its cost per hour to come out on it. Once again I'd love to be dozing with the old 6H I had , it rode a lot smother and was productive. At one time there was enough work to make a living off bigger tractors around here. The decline of work , plus rise of fuel costs made it hard to stay out of the red.

I went ahead and got the 6k2 I loved my other one d6k this one is a lot louder they are working on getting it like the other one time will tell. I ran a 51 for couple weeks A lot of difference in it and the 6k the cat was way stronger and Handel a lot better. Ran some 39 and they were good tractors we just don't have no service here for them.

Dickjr.

I wonder why the hydro is louder on the KII. Did they change pump and drives or is it running higher pressures? I wonder also if the drive is similar or the same as the 953. I ran a 953C , never thought it was loud. Also why would Cat have 3 different D6 models , I know the difference but when I hear people say D6 I'm thinking the 40000 plus size dozer. One more question , I had a D5M , how would the newer 5NXL compare to the 6KXL? With similar hp and weight I don't see a reason for making two of the same size. I would think it would be cheaper to install a U/C on the 6KXL than a 5NXL because its not as much of it.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
You get what you pay for,you go cheap you get cheep!!!! D6N is twice the machine as the D6K.D6K2 has been working across the road from us.The time it takes him to do something you have to set stake to tell he's done anything in a day.This is just clean out terrace in black dirt.

Reason Cat even started building the D6K was to get something down into the price range of others.So they cheapen them up to compet.Thus the low track and hydrosat.Replacement for D5N,but instead of putting a 5 in front of it they used 6K.

Last edited:

Dickjr.

When I bought my 39 I was also looking at a 650J. The reason I went with the 39 was it had 2600 less hours on it. The Deere had 5800 hrs total , had a complete new u/c. They wanted 10k more $ as well. If I had the resources to buy a new tractor , a Deere would be closely looked at. The one thing I liked about them is that they have been making hydro machines a long time. I try to be open minded about brands in general , I like any and all brands.

mestizo

Deere 700K is also more in comparsion to D6N in weight and horsepower.

I don't think that's right.

A D6K2 and 700K are both oval tracked hydrostats and only come with a 6 way blade. Power is 125-130hp.

The 750K more directly competes with the D6N. The you can get into a pushbeam Dozer (or 6way) and the D6 goes high track.

The reason I asked is, I've always understood the 700K to be a good tractor for people that want more power than a 650, but don't need or want to pay for the D6N/D6T or 750K/850K.