• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

d6h series ii

the TC is coming out this week. looks like not to bad to take out buy will find out

Catchad81

I will also tell you it was cheaper to have cat rebuild my original then putting in a reman cat unit.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Had a d4h where the bolts inside the torque converter broke off one by one and would create heat. We checked pressures, changed radiator cores and all. Finally the rest of the bolts broke and machine quit moving.

Had a couple Allison TC's that were overheating and the cause was the flange the bolts that held the two halves of the converter go through had a crack around the outside of the housing. This would cause oil to leak to under load, very much like your D4H with broken bolts, this excess oil in the converter excess oil in the housing would overwhelm the scavenger pump and create drag and heat.

well got TC out and apart. the thrust bearing is wore out and caused the stator to rub on turbine got a few pictures I'll try to post

needs turbine halfs and a stator and bearings of course and seals not sure if I should do myself or take to cat anyone put one together ?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
That would do it. I would check with Cat as to reman on your existing unit, those stator/turbine sections may still be functional if not all that pretty.

well was going to rebuild TC but since I am in Canada and get screwed over buy parts depots cause dollar is **** I have bought a new one complete hope it shows up soon

update got new TC in and that part works again but know after 2 hrs of running transmisson is still getting hot guess will be checking the pump next . the oil now cools down if you sit for a bit but it will hit 200 after a bit

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Did you replace the transmission oil cooler?

ya put a new one in. the oil side was plugged solid with dirt . think machine had little maintenance before we got it

so finnaly figures out why we had a heating issue on the dozer , in the above picture on the filter housing there is a filter sensor on ours. for some reason someone had cut the wires on sensor and bypassed it so light would not come on in cab. so I hooked back up and long story short someone had put the spring and valve or slug in wrong! thats why sensor would stay on and transmission would heat. the valve or slug was in wrong way causing major restriction. not only that the manual shows it wrong on our machine anyway .

oldirt

4730.. I sure hope this is all that you need to fix. I used to think the procedure was that when you do the convertor you do the trans at same time because somebody before you overheated the whole shebang enough to ruin seals all down the line.. best of luck.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Nice to hear you finally got to the bottom of it. Not so nice the $ you had to spend to get there. It's always a major PITA to have to dig into a machine that someone else has "interfered with" previously. Just goes to show that you have to start with basics and don't assume anything. Especially don't assume that because it was "that way" when you pulled it apart that "that way" is correct, as you found with your trans filter bypass spool assembly. Bloody frustrating ........ the error in the manual doesn't help either, because if the manual shows it that way then that's the correct way, right..?
What you refer to as a "sensor" is only an on/off switch BTW.