• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6D Cat

d9gdon

When you see or feel the front of the tractor going down, pull up on the blade control lever. Then just do the opposite when it goes the other way.

Watch the end bit on the left side of the blade for depth perception on your cuts; you don't need to watch the whole blade yet. Get comfortable with making smooth passes slowly, speed can come later.

Greg in KY

About my first job on construction was using a D8 to push boulders to a fill. We were working on a road through limestone. When they blasted it there were giant boulders left because there were caves all in it. It was rough going. I quickly realized I needed to get really good on something besides a dozer. Other than moving dozers I rarely have been on one. I did run a D3 a couple of days doing finish work but that is a lot different than stripping sod(I have found).

I grew up on agricultural equipment and have ran mostly backhoes, track hoes, bobcats, etc. for construction. I ran a track loader a few times with no problem. These were somewhat natural to me.

The "rapid stabbing motions" are taking some getting used to. The linkage appears to me to be acceptable. I am certainly accustomed to easy, steady and slow being the most productive(and did not get me cursed at or hurting someone).
I slowly getting better. The previous owner said that I may want to tilt the blade some but also said I may as well get used to doing it right. I may try adjusting the tilt. The ground I am in is mostly red clay.

I have watched some operators that are really good and they made it look easy. I have a new respect for dozer operators.

I do wish it was someone else buying the fuel for me to learn.

I appreciate all y'alls comments and suggestions.

Greg in KY

When you see or feel the front of the tractor going down, pull up on the blade control lever. Then just do the opposite when it goes the other way.

Watch the end bit on the left side of the blade for depth perception on your cuts; you don't need to watch the whole blade yet. Get comfortable with making smooth passes slowly, speed can come later.

Is it best to strip from left to right(new sod being to my left, last pass to my right)? Or does it depend on the lay of the land?

I tried just watching the left edge last night and It was a little easier to keep from gouging.

d9gdon

Just get comfortable one way or another; I found it was easier to watch the left corner bit on bigger dozers cause the seat is more on that side (for operators to see around the hood). If you watch the left corner bit, the rest of the blade is just about at the same elevation and pitch and tilt. You'll get the feel of it.

I think the D6D has the seat more in the middle of the machine, but you get the idea.

Put some hours on it trying what I said, it'll come to you in time.