• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6D Cat

Greg in KY

A local man that ran dozers for many years has just retired. He has a Cat D6D(actually he has 2 of them) that he has had for several years. It was used when he bought it. He was the owner/operator and took very good care of his equipment. He did all his own mechanic work and replaced anything that appeared worn.

It has OROPS and limb risers- never had lights) . The fluids look really good. No leaks.

This dozer has 80% or better undercarriage. Less than 2,000 hours on the transmission and engine. New cutting edge. The dozer only shows 4,600 hours. If you want to really pick it apart it could use paint and decals. It has a minor/cosmetic dent in the fuel tank where his son backed it into a tree a few years back. It is ready to work by all appearances and I trust what he tells me is true.

He priced it at $28,000.00 delivered.

I want it to play with and do a little farm work. I will likely put less than 500 hours on it. My main concern is that I can sell it in a couple of years and be close to break even on it.

Anyone have a crystal ball? Do you think this dozer will bring close to $28,000 in 2 years?

I don't post much but really enjoy y'all. I learn a lot here.

Thanks, Greg

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
That is a good price for that machine in the condition described. Is it a power shift tractor? ....TIO

oldirt

if you are buying this for a toy, be prepared because if one thing falls apart you can easily burn up 10G just getting it running again. I have one just like that and it looked really nice when I got it. Now it really is nice..well, nicer anyhow.

Greg in KY

Landclearer,
I am about 35 miles south of Lexington- Lincoln County

Evidently the dozer market is not as good here as other parts of the country. This economic recovery our President, our Governor and the local Economic Development officials talk about sure ain't taking the rust off too many dozer blades in these parts.
-
Oldirt,
I know what you are talking about on the unexpected repairs. I just sold a trackhoe and need to put the money into something I can claim for tax purposes. It cost me $1,700 to get a hose replaced on it last summer. That was a little more "tax relief" than I wanted at the time.

Renting or even hiring a dozer to do what I want to do would make more sense.
I just like playing in the dirt from time to time and do not want to be under time pressure when doing it. This is my recreation instead of golf, fishing, whores, etc. .

oldirt

ok.. I love playing in the dirt too. I would do it for free except I would run out of fuel..

Greg in KY

Well I now own a D6D.
Sorta like the dog chasing the bus- What do I do with it now that I caught it?
I guess I will rearrange God's work on my 42 acres. At least it gives my wife something to talk about.

d9gdon

Well, post some pictures when you get some of it done.

You gonna paint it or run it like it is, or paint it before you get rid of it...he he

Greg in KY

I will let you paint it.
I keep equipment in top mechanical condition but I ain't much on painting.

The guy I bought it from is going to put a new muffler on it. It started leaking through a rust spot yesterday when we fired it up. Also a new fuel filter and pre-cleaner bowl. This should have it in top mechanical condition as far as we know.

Bruce Higgins

Having your own dozer can be lots of fun. Push your 42 acres all to one side and then move it back to suit you.:) I have an 8K for playing with.

Greg in KY

d9gdon,
The same man I bought my dozer from has its full brother for sale.
The difference in the serial numbers is 40 from the one I got.
It has brand new batteries, rebuilt starter and new hose to tilt cylinder-all put on in the last week. Otherwise it is about the same as the one I bought. Let me know if you want me to put you in contact with him.

d9gdon

d9gdon,
The same man I bought my dozer from has its full brother for sale.
The difference in the serial numbers is 40 from the one I got.
It has brand new batteries, rebuilt starter and new hose to tilt cylinder-all put on in the last week. Otherwise it is about the same as the one I bought. Let me know if you want me to put you in contact with him.

That 1000 miles between us is a deal killer on freight though. It wouldn't be so cheap when it got here.

But my original offer still stands:

Yes, I will buy it back delivered to me in 2 years at that price.

Thanks anyway.

Have you got to use yours yet?

Greg in KY

Might have trouble with it-
Fires up and runs really good. It steers OK except occasionally goes the completely wrong direction that I intended to turn it- especially backing up.
Pushing seems to be the problem. For some reason it either heads toward the center of the earth with great determination or points towards the heavens. I cannot find the "Smooth/Level" position. Backing over the first pass is nothing short of horrific. I am afraid it may be programmed for Motocross track building.

D6 Merver,
I tried to attach the picture but not sure if this is gonna work

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 548
  • Dozer.jpg
    Dozer.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 554
Last edited:

Greg in KY

Well my last post has 2 of the same pictures. I don't have a picture of the dozer he still owns. This is the one I bought.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Greg in KY. Looks a tidy little tractor mate!

Re your operational issues.

Have you ever operated a dozer before would be the first question?

Steering . . . be aware that if you are going down hill with no load (blade up) or being pushed by a load (scraper or logging) you can execute a turn by pulling the opposite steering clutch, that is to say you pull the left clutch to go right and vice versa . . . this is known as "cross steering" and simply allows the disengaged side to run faster rather than slower as when you apply a little brake.

Blade control . . . hard to tell but in your picture on post #18 it appears the blade is laying back fairly well. This will make it "head toward the centre of the earth" as you put it . . . until you get the hang of it adjust it forward with the side arms.

Second point would be to check actuating linkage on blade control for excessive slop and play and thirdly, once blade is on the ground control is achieved by a series of rapid stabbing motions either side of the 'hold' detent . . . you can't control a dozer blade with smooth and slow while cutting.

Every attempt should be made though to achieve a smooth controlled lowering and unless bumping off sticky clay there should be no bumps and jerks . . . one sign of a good operator is that the blade movement is almost imperceptible and, as if by magic, the blade just happens to be on the ground just as shifts into forward after backing up.

Cheers.

Last edited: