• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D69U dozer

D69U dozer, gday ,have made a mistake and ran my dozer out of fuel, the m

• D69U dozer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D69U dozer fuel issue

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mark Otten

D69U dozer, gday ,have made a mistake and ran my dozer out of fuel, the motor has been converted from pony start to 24 volt electric start,I still have the mechanical gear fuel pump and am thinking of installing an inline electric fuel pump to help with the bleeding difficulties I'm having, would like to know if I'm on right track ? Cheers

ianoz

Mate , If you have a compressor handy , get an old inner tube cut a piece around the valve . put it on top of the tank filler and clamp it in place ,or cobb and Co it with wire . Pressurize the tank to push the fuel through the filters to the injector pump .Bleeding it as you go .Makes it easier to start with electric starter .

Mark Otten

Mate , If you have a compressor handy , get an old inner tube cut a piece around the valve . put it on top of the tank filler and clamp it in place ,or cobb and Co it with wire . Pressurize the tank to push the fuel through the filters to the injector pump .Bleeding it as you go .Makes it easier to start with electric starter .
thanks for the tip cheers

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals

Works best if you cut the hole away from the valve. Put enough air into the tube to expand it a bit and you can go about your work without tending the air compressor. Don't take much pressure, a lb. or two is all it takes. Fuel tanks have been ruptured when folks got carried away with their air pressure. Make life easier on your starter and crank it with the compression release on for 20 seconds or so after you bleed it.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I seem to remember those engines had little oval bleed screws on each injector and for the filter housing. The shovel in my avatar had a D318 Cat engine from around that time frame and there was a special little wrench my dad kept, tied to the pump with some wire, that he used when the engine sat too long and lost prime. While the pony was running you cracked each bleed screw until fuel ran out and then closed it off. When they all ran clear you could start the engine. The oval shaped knobs were on the engine side of the fuel injector lines on the pump. The one on the fuel filter housing was changed to a small hand wheel on later models of engines.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I seem to remember those engines had little oval bleed screws on each injector and for the filter housing. The shovel in my avatar had a D318 Cat engine from around that time frame and there was a special little wrench my dad kept, tied to the pump with some wire, that he used when the engine sat too long and lost prime. While the pony was running you cracked each bleed screw until fuel ran out and then closed it off. When they all ran clear you could start the engine. The oval shaped knobs were on the engine side of the fuel injector lines on the pump. The one on the fuel filter housing was changed to a small hand wheel on later models of engines.

There is a Cat bleeder tool still available to loosen the bleeders located behind the injector pumps. A small 1/4' drive socket set will work also. I think 6 sided 5/32(?) works even though the bleeders are oval shaped.