• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6 9U Loosing water

Peter Kennedy

Occupation
coal miner
I have a 1957 model D6 9U that is using or loosing water. The engine oil shows no sign of water contamination so that may not be the head gasket ?? I am thinking it could be pre-combustion chamber seals. How hard is it to replace them if that is what the problem is.

Old Magnet

Top off the radiator and check for bubbles while running engine. Also signs of water being pushed out the overflow when under pressure.
Do you have visible water leaking out around the pre-com chambers?
Any water vapor or smell of burnt anti-freeze in the exhaust?

Changing seals means removing the pre-com retainers if original type or removing the pre-com chambers if they are the 1-piece type.

Peter Kennedy

Occupation
coal miner
Thanks for the advice there Old Magnet. the are no visible signs of bubbles in the radiator water with the motor at operating temp nor is there any sign of water in the engine oil, its as black as midnight !!
I think its a leaking pre-com seal or at the worst a cracked head hope I,m wrong about the head
Will keep you posted