• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D5G Parking brake issues again!

D5GDevo

I am back once again with parking brake issues on my D5G ( SS# WGB03584 ) This time the problem just comes and goes. I can be running it and the parking brake will engage and stop me dead in my tracks. It does show a fault on the dash next to the parking brake light when it does this. The only way to get it to clear, is to shut the machine off and re-start it. I was reading on some other post about how low voltage can be a major problem. I havent had a chance to check it out yet. Any other ideas out there? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
D5Gdevo

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
They are sensitive to voltage. The D5G I used to care for did that. Make sure belt is tight and alternator is putting out correct voltage. Ours wasn't and that cured it. May also take a look at battery connections, cables etc.

Junkyard

D5GDevo

I sure hope that is all it is. Soon as I can I'll check it out and reply back. What is the correct voltage anyway?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Personally I think the best starting point would be to check the Diagnostic Codes, for 2 reasons: -
1. It will identify the code that the switch is throwing which will enable the correct troubleshooting procedure to be identified.
2. If there have been any codes for low system voltage they will also be there.
Talking about low voltage, have you checked the alternator belt tension/condition recently and tightened/replaced if necessary..?

D5GDevo

I did replace all the belts the other day because the alternator belts where streched out to the limt, and was a little loose. I am still having issues. Got a Cat mechanic coming out Friday to run diagnostics on it. Hopefully he can find my problem...

D5GDevo

My Cat mechanic came by the other day and ran the diagnostics on my machine and it lead us to a bad track speed sensor. Got that changed out and calibrated and so far so good on the parking brake issue but I am still noticing that the machine wants to pull to the right so what. Any Ideas?

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
I'd take another look at the calibration.
i agree with d9gdon .was the calibration done with axles in or out ,if the axles were in make sure there are no issues with the track chains and rollers and also no trash build up. Also check that track tension is correct for both sides
Mark

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I own a D5G WGB series and have replaced the park brake switch and alternator due to the same issue. As has been said G series dozers are very finicky on voltage.

D5GDevo

i agree with d9gdon .was the calibration done with axles in or out ,if the axles were in make sure there are no issues with the track chains and rollers and also no trash build up. Also check that track tension is correct for both sides
Mark
We left the axels in but we did have it jacked up off the ground so it was free running. Is it a big job to pull the axels?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
D5Gdevo have you checked the voltage coming out of the alternator? A year or so ago I had a similar problem with the park brake. The machine had been calibrated within the last year when this issue came up.

The alt. was putting out less voltage than spec. Changed the alternator and park brake switch and haven't had the issue again. Machine had over 5K hours on the original alt.

D5GDevo

D5Gdevo have you checked the voltage coming out of the alternator? A year or so ago I had a similar problem with the park brake. The machine had been calibrated within the last year when this issue came up.

The alt. was putting out less voltage than spec. Changed the alternator and park brake switch and haven't had the issue again. Machine had over 5K hours on the original alt.
CM1995 do you know what the voltage should be?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
The alt. should be putting out 14.3-14.4 volts.

The problem we had was the machine would be working fine and then suddenly come to a complete stop, it would throw you into the glass. Started intermittently and then several times in a 4 hour period. Check batteries and one was weak. Checked alt. and it was putting out 13.8 volts.

Changed the alt ($290 with a $293 core charge) and the park brake switch and it hasn't happened since. The best I can figure is the low/spiking voltage was throwing the electronics out of whack.

D5GDevo

I checked the alt and was getting 14.4 Volts the other day, then a few days later it brunt a belt off and then threw the other belt off and had some burnt rubber on the alt pulley. The alt still was free spinning, didnt make since to me but I figured that it had to have some sort of resistance at the alt for the burnt rubber to be left on it so I got a new alt from Cat and installed it. Everything working good with the alt but still having issues with the machine pulling to the right when I shift from reverse to forward, but just for a liitle bit then it lines out. Got to be something simple , I hope....

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Had mine calibrated a couple of years ago and it was like a new tractor. Mine was sluggish going forward with a light load and slow climbing grade. No load, straight forward tracking was normal as well as reverse.

Cat mechanic came out and spent 30 mins with the laptop plugged up, actually operating the machine from the laptop. I think the bill was $250 including travel time but the machine was 10 mins from their shop. Best $250 I ever spent at the Cat house. :D