• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D5B engine braking question

Caparra D5B

I have recently purchased a Cat D5B dozer 48X serial number with powershift transmission. There seems to be no engine braking down hill - is this normal.

Check Break

You'll need a direct drive if you want to ride engine compression. Otherwise, the blade is your friend. Use it to brake and steer.

Caparra D5B

thank you check break and ooal dust. 2 different responses but my brief and scary experience is in low gear and idle type revs it was accelerating down hilll more than my heart could take

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Oh’ no. Be careful. Holy cow.
Welcome to the HEF. Good to have you. What are you going to use your new track type tractor for?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
my brief and scary experience is in low gear and idle type revs
Need some revs on it or the converter effectively decouples, so in effect you are freewheeling.
If you want to control speed going downhill, a) make sure you are in 1st speed with a few revs on the engine, and b) use the Big Yellow Brake hung on the front.........