• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D4D transmission seal

bluetick

Cat D4d (07R 0735) power shift transmission front seal leaking.What is the procedure for replacing this seal and part number. As always thanks for information.

bluetick

There is a round plate on front of the transmission with what appears to be a short shaft connected to a coupler. The seal in the round plate is leaking.

Dave Neubert

my bad 1d4236 and a 3f5792 just unbolt the seal holder replace o ring and seal after you remove coupling

Dave Neubert

Yea I see what you mean I thought the seal holder unbolted from the case it has been years since I worked on one

bluetick

So, OM and Dave are you saying all I have to do is unbolt coupler, then remove the flange, replace o ring and shaft seal. Upon further examination the diagram OM posted appears to be the torque converter. The leak l have,I am sure is on transmission. OM can you post a diagram of the transmission. Thank for the assistance.

Last edited:

Old Magnet

Just replace the 1D4236. Check the seal running surface for grooving. May require a speedy sleeve if badly grooved otherwise it will eat the new seal.
Here's the rest of the picture.....
Late-Flex-Coupling.jpg

Last edited:

bluetick

Update, finally got around to replacing the seal. Pull the pan off and remove the rubber joints connecting the flywheel and torque converter. Took the flange to machine shop to resurface it. All and all not as bad of a job as thought. Thanks to all who responded.