• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D4 clutch brake shoe question

ScottNC

After having the brake shoe relined and getting the adjustment points to adjust again I turned to the service manual. In the adjustment section there is something about a small 3/16"-1/4" pin being in a hole low, almost to the tip of the shoe. The hole is there but no pin, can't see a reason for one to be there either. Maybe a change was made eliminating this pin? Patient is a 1967 D4/D4D ser. #78A7177.

Metalman 55

It's been a while since we did ours, but we put new lining on our brakes & I remember the pin. Sort of holds the bottom of the shoe assembly up in place I think, so it does not sag. I seem to remember we had to back the stud off to remove the assembly & then adjust it back up after the brake bands were re assembled. Once the stud is turned back in, it is held in place with a jam nut if I remember correctly. Our machine is a little older 78A 5667.

ScottNC

Sounds like my machine is missing something then. Looking at the clutch housing there does not seem to be a place for a pin to go nor for one to have come from. The shoe "bellcrank" pivot pin is pressed into the clutch housing extending from a cast, raised pedestal of sorts. Nothing else close enough to the shoe where a pin could be located. A bracket of some sort MIA?

Metalman, roughly how long is your pin? Knowing that may shed some light on where it anchors.

One other clutch question; the linkage from the bottom of the clutches hand lever to the bellcrank (located under the operators left foot) has had the spring assembly removed and the link welded solid. Okay to leave that way or not?

Picture?

Metalman 55

Sounds like my machine is missing something then. Looking at the clutch housing there does not seem to be a place for a pin to go nor for one to have come from. The shoe "bellcrank" pivot pin is pressed into the clutch housing extending from a cast, raised pedestal of sorts. Nothing else close enough to the shoe where a pin could be located. A bracket of some sort MIA?

Metalman, roughly how long is your pin? Knowing that may shed some light on where it anchors.

One other clutch question; the linkage from the bottom of the clutches hand lever to the bellcrank (located under the operators left foot) has had the spring assembly removed and the link welded solid. Okay to leave that way or not?

Picture?

ScottNC, I am beginning to think we may be talking about 2 different things here. What OM & I were referring to was the pin that holds the brake band assembly up in place for the steering brakes (one each side). Perhaps you are referring to the little brake assembly at the right behind the main clutch, which when the main clutch lever is pushed ahead, stops the rotation of the drive going into the transmission, making shifting easier? Perhaps you could send a picture to clarify?

ScottNC

Metalman, yup, the clutch brake shoe IS what I am referring too. The machine is 22 miles south of where I sit and it is snowing so, for now, no pic. There is however a B&W picture in the service manual if you have one.

Sounds like you are familiar with of what I speak though. It is an inverted (lining on the inside), single brake shoe that stops the clutch output shaft from turning so you can shift more easily. The hole the service manual is describing is located in the lower tip (as installed) of the shoe.

Old Magnet

Look closely at the cover housing, you will probably find the pin sheared off there. As I said, all the DD machines of that era have similar transmission brake arrangements.

ScottNC

Look closely at the cover housing, you will probably find the pin sheared off there. As I said, all the DD machines of that era have similar transmission brake arrangements.

OM, that, is exactly what I thought and looked for but was unable to find yesterday. In the manual it appears there is something like a tab sticking out from behind the drum that the pin must go into, does that jive with your remembrance? Since it is shown in the brake shoe, ready for installation it must be a slip-fit? Too coarse a photo to draw much of a conclusion.

Old Magnet

You need to fix that spring affair on the lever arm. That is your brake application control.

OK,dug out the parts book (do you have one?) pin is a part number 1H8934. No separate tab. Separate part number from the brake shoe. Can't remember if it is a slip or press fit into a boss on the cover housing. Does say it is part of the shoe assembly. I'll have to go look at one of my installations.

Last edited:

ScottNC

Had a look, pin is swedged into the shoe as part of the assembly so it would be a slip fit in the housing cover hole.

OM, that might explain why the two different hole diameters for the pin in the shoe... like a passenger car lug stud, the small end slips in and the big end, a shoulder perhaps, has an interference fit.

No, no parts book. That is why I appreciate having you to bother so frequently!!

Current clutch application control is by Manuel. Is the spring affair available as an assembly or by its bits... or am I looing for a parts tractor?

ScottNC

And, you just can see the tab I referred to. Guess a little scratching around in the dirt and oil is in order.

Thanks OM!