• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D3B Clutch and cylinder rebuild

AllDodge

To update, ordered 1540591 Loctite sealant, red

Had to ask in another tread to get info and was very helpful

Old Magnet

I'm thinking you are referring to the sealant used on the porous surfaces of castings. Have not been able to determine exactly what was used but "glyptal" seems to fit the closest description.

AllDodge

Had not heard of it before, but I'm seeing a varnish or paint

The orange stuff I'm seeing feels similar to silicone but thinner, maybe. It looks to have been brushed on. The openings where the clutches are have 1/4 plates that bolt over them and this stuff was on the matting surfaces. Like in this pic

d3-18-jpg.204814

Welder Dave

Glyptal is used as an insulating paint for electrical applications. I have dry clutches but just used Permatex Ultra black silicone for the clutch covers because it has the highest oil resistance. I think things like final drives often use a special brush on sealer instead of a gasket.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
OK, that's some kind of gasket sealer, not the coating used on castings.

My D3B has the orange sealant on most of the covers including the clutch covers instead of gaskets also. I assume it is a Cat product. Seems to work well.

AllDodge

Still waiting on sealer but removed lift cylinder rods. Use a 36 inch pipe wrench and hydraulic jack on left side, and used backhoe for pressure on right to break cylinder nuts loose. Used 3/4 inch impact and 1 1/2 inch socket to break bolt free. Looks like bolt gets re-torqued to 800 ft lb +/- 80

D3 27.jpg D3 28.jpg D3 29.jpg

AllDodge

Looking up the lift cylinder reseal kit I'm finding 8T1372 and 7X2746 in SIS which I think are the same. It does list as "contact dealer" so there is probably a new number. Can someone verify?

Also looking at replacing seals in clutch valve group 5G0706, parts are:
4F7391 O ring
6F4855 O ring
3H5077 Lip seal
2P2975 O ring

Will also replace the damaged test port plug 9S4182 and 3J7354 O ring

AllDodge

Installed the seals on cylinders and the new bearing (wide plastic piece that is on rod end) has a gap and doesn't completely close even when using my hand to push. It should be tighter in the cylinder but still wonder if this could be an issue.

Welder Dave

If it's the ring with a diagonal split, I don't think it's a big deal if there is a bit of a gap. It doesn't seal anything. I think it's to prevent the piston from damaging the inner bore.

AllDodge

Yes that's what it is, and was thinking the same thing, but since its aftermarket, wanted to check. Thanks

AllDodge

Need 800 FT LB
Pulled my torque wrench out and it goes to only 600, need to figure out how to get 800 +/- 80

If I find an extension to extend length will use formula
L x TQ / L + Ext = Wrench setting
L= length
Tq= Desired torque
Ext= length of extension

Either that of something like track bolts, torque to starting value then turn 30 degrees or so

AllDodge

The 3/4 impact got it off but not making it the additional 60 degrees, only 30 to 35 degrees

AllDodge

Took cylinders to Froedge in Tompkinsville, where I had my 955 lift cylinders repaired and let them torque. All good now, going to put them back together now