• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D318 pup/pony motor

Brent Irwin

I am looking for some info on the pony or pup motor on my dozer. It has 977 spray painted on the side and the tag on the motor says power unit # 5V16667. The model says D318. Looking for info so I can get myself a manual for it. I think the pup/pony motor is siezed. Any and all info is greatly appreciated. First time user too so bear with me hahaha

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I assume your dozer is a 9U series. Or is it a loader Cat? Post your serial number. I may have an extra engine manual. It is not unusual for the pony to be stuck if left setting for a while. It is very easy to pull the heads with the pony in place. The head gaskets are reusable on that engine. Often you will find stuck valves that can be tapped with a wood block softener and freed up. Them engines will run and start the main when they are as low as 30 PSI on compression.

Brent Irwin

Thanks Bob, I was more curious about the pony motor or what manuals I can get to find out more info about the whole machine. The style of pony motor I have is one that I can sit in the seat and start. Every video I have watched is when the pony motor is started from the side of the big motor.