• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D17 question

Tiny

I probably have no bis in this area but a quick question . I just spent a long day on the back of an old D 17 pulling an 8 foot mower . The owner said he's has a lead on a 10 foot mower (Bush Hog ) . This grass was heavy in a few spots and had to downshift to 1st in high side ... sorry I speak truck driver so if I used the wrong terms please forgive me .

This is a gas engine tractor and with it in low gears already is it possible a 10 foot wide is to big for this machine .

06Pete

Depends on the grass and how fast you want to go I sometimes pull my 10 with m 55 hp utility tractor but usually just clipping a pasture real thick grass makes my 130 hp tractor bark but it can pull it faster than the mower can cut. A D17 gas should be around 65 hp if I remember correctly I would think it will handle it in fairly thick grass just slower than say a 100 hp would. Remember you don't always have to take a full deck width once you make the first cut and the extra overlap usually gives a cleaner cut.

wilko

I run a 6 ft hog on my D17, we've used it on ten foot tall scotch broom and berry vines, but even thick grass makes the tractor snort at times. I think a 10 footer would be too much except for light trimming of grass. An 8 foot flail would be nice to have.

Claus

I have a 170, basically a newer D17, same motor and transmission with restyled sheet metal, factory 3 point hitch and live hydraulics. I have a 7' Woods mower. That is plenty big to my way of thinking a D17 is more like 54 HP.
HPIM3343_zps7e64215b.jpg
HPIM3342_zpsb7f084c8.jpg