• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cummins QSC 8.3 oil filter.

Cmark

We've recently taken over the maintenance of a Cummins QSC 8.3 and have had problems with the oil filter coming loose and leaking. If we tighten it with a filter strap beyond "normal" hand-tight, it seems OK, but then it's hard to get off.

Before we buy a new filter head, has anyone come across this before? This is the first one of this model I've had to deal with.

Tenwheeler

I have had some issues with filters drooling hand tightened. Worse issues with some people trying to follow the directions on the filter. We just put a band wrench on them and snug it by hand, no tool to turn it with. Not as tight as you can possibly tighten it just snug. That should be slightly tighter than hand tight with no wrench. Everybody seems to be able to do this. Some are a bit tighter to remove than I like but no leaking filters. Not by the book just what we are doing.

Cmark

We've tried both Fleetguard and OEM branded filters (Hyundai). For anyone who hasn't seen them, the filters are a pretty unique design with a wide rubber seal around the lip of the filter and the thread is uncommonly large at about 1.5". It sounds like we need to get into the habit of "overtightening" them.

Truck Shop

The wide mouth filters have always been a problem coming loose on a Cummins no matter
what engine there on. I tighten then up with a strap wrench real tight and by the next oil
change they have loosened some and come right off.

Truck Shop

Volvomad

I have only ever seen an oil filter loosen on our Ex200-5 so I now always put it on with the filter strap and squeeze until it is about to cave in . It needs this to stay tight . I think it is an excavator thing , we dont run a breaker ,but handle a lot of rock so any machine shaking is harsh . Been doing this for 15 and 18000 hours years and the filter head is still first days .
What kind of work is the machine in question doing ?