• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cummins NTC 855 timing code help

cantfixathing

Hi, Im rebuilding a NTC 855 big cam 350, the engine doesn't have a dataplate on it so im at a loss as to what the timing code is so i can set up the injector plunger stroke. Does anybody know how i can find out this information. (maybe its on the fuel pump?) Thanks!

td25c

Are you replacing the camshaft & followers? You might get the part number off the camshaft to help determine the CPL number of the engine and give cummins a call. www.cummins.com

cantfixathing

td25c- the camshaft was the one that was in the engine, i am changing the cam followers..where do i find the camshaft part number?

td25c

I want to say the number is stamped on the front of the cam but cant remember for sure.Could be at the rear.Either way if your changing cam followers it would be a good idea to do the cam at the same time.You dont have to,just my opinion.You can also measure the gasket thickness on the old cam follower housings and that will be pretty close on the new ones .

mathura

If nameplate is no longer there then check for the stamped number on block The engine serial number is normally stamped on the engine block R/S front just below the head.

shopguy

The cpl should be on the fuel pump if not take the pump to a pump shop and let them check it .If you changed pistons what cpl were they for?

td25c

td25c- the camshaft was the one that was in the engine, i am changing the cam followers..where do i find the camshaft part number?

I pulled and old cam out of the shed that we had replaced years ago and sure enough the part number is on the rear face of the cam.There is a possibillty that the CPL number is on the fuel pump tag.Two of my trucks are like that and on both trucks it's the first number on the pump tag. Also while its apart get the piston number ,block number like mathura mentiond.Anything to help identify the CPL.Getting back to your first question I did find the timing code chart in the cummins manual.I have a Peterbuilt with a 1982 big cam(471 CPL) and a Kenworth thats a 1984 big cam (633 CPL).Both trucks had the letters (AW) on the engine id tag for the timing code.I'l try to post the chart later as my computer aint cooperating now.

Last edited:

td25c

The timing code is on the second page.I know this dosent answer the question but it may be one less piece of the puzzle to look for.Its aggaravating when the engine ID tag is missing.We never did have the timing tool.When we would change a cam in a cummins I had a fellow mechanic buddy that would bring his tool over to set the timing on the cam.He also had a Cummins CPL reference book .You could tell him the cpl no. and the book would show part numbers of the cam,pistons,etc that a certian cpl would need.Pretty handy manual to have. On the back page of my cummins manual it shows other publications offerd by cummins.One is listed as "Control Parts List" bulletin number3379133 .I just wonder if it's not the same book my buddy had? Good luck on the engine overhaul cantfixathing:)

Attachments

• cummins code 1.jpg
    cummins code 1.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 2,856
  • cummins code 2.jpg
    cummins code 2.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 2,661
  • cummins code 3.jpg
    cummins code 3.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 3,808
Last edited: