• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cummins NH220 engine

Hydraumind

If possible I need a repair manual of NH220 used on the old komatsu Dozer, if someone want to share please PM me

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
There are some super cheap komatsu manuals online. I think I paid $10 to download the one for our D65EX-12. I do have a genuine old school period correct 220 service manual I can get info from. What exactly do you need to know? It's an old dog eared girl but a 220 is a 220 for the most part.

Junkyard

Hydraumind

I needed tightening torque of the following:
Main bearing
Con. rod
Cyl. head
Injector bolt and adj.
Valve lash
Maybe later on, I will need the timing procedure and values but I don't know if I gonna remove the cam follower

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
IMG_8834.JPG IMG_8835.JPG IMG_8836.JPG IMG_8837.JPG I'll try snapping pics of what you want, hopefully you can zoom and read. If not I can email them if you PM me an address. This is from a 1961 manual :)

Injector hold downs show to be 10-1/2 ft pounds. Valve lash on NH series intake cold .016, warm .014. Exhaust .029 cold and .027 warm.

I've got all the info you'll need, I assume it's still the same all these years later!

Junkyard

StanRUS

When you're setting injector torque, it is necessary to squeeze fuel out between injector plunger & cup. Just requires bottoming by tightening 5-6 times, but not over tightening. U can feel the injector bottom out while using a large blade screwdriver or inch pound torque wrench.

Abraham

Hi Im new to this forum but could someone please tell me what the torque setting is for the rocker boxes on NH220 please? Thanks

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Do you have access to the timing tool ST-593 or something equivalent?

Timing on the NH220 Cummins and most others is done by adding or removing shim gaskets under the cam follower boxes on the left side of the engine.

I do have the manual but would not be of too much help with out the ST-593. It is possible to do without the exact tool if one is familiar with the procedure and can use a bit of imagination.

If this sounds like something you want to try let me know and I will scan in a few pages.

Just to be clear this is not something you need to do just to replace a PT pump or replacing injectors. The injectors do need to be adjusted but that is not timing of the engine.

Only time one should need to adjust timing would be if cam follower boxes were removes or replaced or if cam or cam drive gears were replaced.

StanRUS

anyone know the main timing adjustment of NH220

Main timing adjustment >injection timing< PROCEDURE is the same for NH220, NTC 335, NTA 420, KTA 600. Different injection timing specification for various engine models.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Main timing adjustment >injection timing< PROCEDURE is the same for NH220, NTC 335, NTA 420, KTA 600. Different injection timing specification for various engine models.
True and the V-12 1710 is even more fun as you have two different cams to time and like the "K" engines they are adjusted by using off-set keys in the cam gears. Don't make the mistake about installing the key backwards!

Would not be as bad if you did enough to justify cost of spare cam gears that did not need to be heated to install or pressed off. We were not that lucky so were VERY CAREFUL!