• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cummins Fined $1.6 Billion Over Allegations It Outfitted Dodge Rams With Software To Cheat Emissions

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
A friend of mine recently replaced his 26' box truck with a newer one. He had a Freightliner with I think a Cummins before. He was tired of taking it to the dealer for engine issues, so he bought a Ford F650 with the 7.3 gas. It pulls just fine, but gets about 5 mpg . . .

Truck Shop

For some reason Hall Scott and other huge gas engines were popular in fire trucks for a while, but were all gone was before my time in fire apparatus. The only I ever worked on was a Ford 534.
By the time 1952 rolled around is when people started looking at powering with diesel. Diesel power
was slow to get a footing, gas was cheap, gas engines were cheap to produce. Hall Scott was on it's
down hill slide by 1955, when GMC came out with the 702 V12 in early 60's it was too late the nail
was in the coffin. Detroit Diesel could produce the two strokes relatively cheap, and it was less up
keep, with diesel being cheap also. Detroit's were often spec'd because Detroit would undercut the
other manufactures to get the sale. Detroit had the Lions share of engine sales going back to 1944. 346268029_713095497483054_5184002336013420130_n.jpg

Truck Shop

In 1961 there was one real defining design that pretty much put the kill to gasoline power plants.
The Jacobs Engine Brake designed by Clessie Cummins. People finally gave into the idea of being
able to stop and stay in control was just as important as moving.

mekanik

I was cleaning out some cabinets in a shop I worked in in 1980 it was started in 1959. Sadly I threw away manuals and service bulletins from the Clessie Cummins Engine brake Company. The trade mark was a mule with a cart going down a hill and logo said " Even A Mule Works Both ways".
I also remember seeing that same picture on the engine brake switch on a really old KW.

Truck Shop

I was cleaning out some cabinets in a shop I worked in in 1980 it was started in 1959. Sadly I threw away manuals and service bulletins from the Clessie Cummins Engine brake Company. The trade mark was a mule with a cart going down a hill and logo said " Even A Mule Works Both ways".
I also remember seeing that same picture on the engine brake switch on a really old KW.
To collectors those old manuals and bulletins are a treasure.

skyking1

In 1961 there was one real defining design that pretty much put the kill to gasoline power plants.
The Jacobs Engine Brake designed by Clessie Cummins. People finally gave into the idea of being
able to stop and stay in control was just as important as moving.
I am sure sold on it. The brake saver on the 3406 is always on. I would do a head job on my 5.9 to get it, but for the cost and the relative effectiveness of the simple exhaust brake that I have.

Tyler d4c

A friend of mine recently replaced his 26' box truck with a newer one. He had a Freightliner with I think a Cummins before. He was tired of taking it to the dealer for engine issues, so he bought a Ford F650 with the 7.3 gas. It pulls just fine, but gets about 5 mpg . . .
What did the diesel get

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I know a guy who is a wizard with engines and likes old junk, he has a Toro flow in a pickup. He said it may be the only *something* can't remember, still running. I think it's a V6. I think he said it was very hard finding all the parts for the injection pump. It is a rotary bosch mounted facing up in the front of the vee IIRC. Probably similar to that pic above.