• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crown Zellerbach Yellow or Orange Iron

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
HDX,in picture 333 you will notice my trailer has short taper on inside of the stakes. Have you seen any in your fleet?

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
HDX,in picture 333 you will notice my trailer has short taper on inside of the stakes. Have you seen any in your fleet?
If you look at trucks and trailers early 1970's and older the stake tops were finished like that . Trailers delivered to Renfrew Div. spring 1980 were square to the top.

camptramp

Occupation
Gordy Isacson is sharing his pictures with us . Do'es anyone recognize this truck ? LW-848 Kenworth HD 70's vintage ( hood latches - narrow radiator ?? why ? looks like 11:eek:o x 22 rubber , BD 65,000 Planetary Axels ( US ) Peerless Head Ache Rack , Shuttling DLS logs ? Can't see any Bundle Wires on logs . Looks like No. T788 on Rad. tank + hood.scan318.jpg

Blk prince

Occupation
Picture #2 of #340 shows a 1967 Pacific in Kokish. Driver was Orville Reimer. Truck had Cummins 6 cylinder,probably a 335 with Allison 6 speed auto.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Gordy Isacson is sharing his pictures with us . Do'es anyone recognize this truck ? LW-848 Kenworth HD 70's vintage ( hood latches - narrow radiator ?? why ? looks like 11:eek:o x 22 rubber , BD 65,000 Planetary Axels ( US ) Peerless Head Ache Rack , Shuttling DLS logs ? Can't see any Bundle Wires on logs . Looks like No. T788 on Rad. tank + hood.View attachment 121059

Could this Clallam Bay? There was a similar photo of this in the Loggers World's book about the Centennial of CZ (1870-1970) They hauled from the sort yard ten miles to the dump at Seiku.

Blk prince

Occupation
Camptramp,checkout thread #13 and first picture of Post.195. Did BCFP get any new Pacifics with mufflers under the cab? In my mind this was a poor place for mufflers unless temperature was -10 or colder. By then we were home.

camptramp

Occupation
Camptramp,checkout thread #13 and first picture of Post.195. Did BCFP get any new Pacifics with mufflers under the cab? In my mind this was a poor place for mufflers unless temperature was -10 or colder. By then we were home.
BCFP trucks I drove or seen had mufflers on the right front water tank from factory or were inside ladder on water tank both sides if truck was converted to V12-71 Jimmy from V8 Cummins in camp .

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
Camptramp and BLK prince always interested in the great pictures and knowledge you guys have. Thanks for shareing

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Could this Clallam Bay? There was a similar photo of this in the Loggers World's book about the Centennial of CZ (1870-1970) They hauled from the sort yard ten miles to the dump at Seiku.

Wasn't 1973 the first year of the new style low-mounted door handles? If so, that should put at least that new, unless the driver's door was later replaced with the new-style. Great photo.

camptramp

Occupation
The BLk prince bless his soul , has touched base with an old friend Hakan Andersson ( and a dam fine mechanic on anything you can find in Logging Camp ) who is sharing his pictures with us . Image030.jpgImage031.jpg Looks like Nitinat Camp winter of 1968 - 1969

camptramp

Occupation
Hakan A. Nitinat an interesting Skagit loader SJ-4 ? This loader and the Madill yarder / loader ,were owned by contractor Bert Brown , the HDX Hayes logging truck image019.jpgImage020.jpgis Irving Olsens #1

dunwurken

I set chokers on that Madill duplex yarder/loader. That was 48 years ago.
Those where the good old days when at about 5:00AM Trunk road in front of where Domans built their office by the Royal Bank was like Grand Central station with crummies loading up.
I also remember the winter of '68. There was about 3ft of snow right in downtown Duncan.

Last edited:

Blk prince

Occupation
dunwurken,I have more pictures of "the combination" posted and they show 2 cabs. The doors are on the back in true Madill style. So far there is no one who remembers much about the combo. I would say this is pictures of the first setting. New cabs are also straight on the front.

dunwurken

dunwurken,I have more pictures of "the combination" posted and they show 2 cabs. The doors are on the back in true Madill style. So far there is no one who remembers much about the combo. I would say this is pictures of the first setting. New cabs are also straight on the front.

There were two cabs on the one I set chokers on. Do you think it's a completely different machine or did they star out thinking they could do it all with one operator then modify it later. I think it was BC Brown's son ran one or probably both yarder and loader at times. I do recall that you could loose your teeth if the loader moved in the landing while you where trying to do up a choker out in the backend. It's taxing my memory but I also recall if we got a certain amount of loads by Friday noon the rest of the day was amateur day. The engineer would come out and set chokers the RS would run yarder. The chaser run the loader the junior chokerman would chase and after an hour or two everyone would switch again.
Were are you other pictures posted. I do seem to recall seeing it before. Something doesn't look right with #353

Last edited:

Blk prince

Occupation
I was told that only one machine was ever built. I got to Nitinat in 1968 and it had 2 cabs then. I did hear a story of one cab but did not work. All the time combo was in Nitinat,Skip Baker ran loader and Stan Medd was hooker. Not sure of the year but we lowbed dead her to Coleman for a trip up coast and never heard of it again. I would like to talk to Bill Foresster about her as he could fill in the blanks.

dunwurken

I was told that only one machine was ever built. I got to Nitinat in 1968 and it had 2 cabs then. I did hear a story of one cab but did not work. All the time combo was in Nitinat,Skip Baker ran loader and Stan Medd was hooker. Not sure of the year but we lowbed dead her to Coleman for a trip up coast and never heard of it again. I would like to talk to Bill Foresster about her as he could fill in the blanks.

I found the 2 cab configuration in posting 150. That's what I remember. I have no idea how they thought they could run both the loader and yarder from the same cab but it looks like they tried. They just didn't add another cab but took the single side door cab off and put two "Madill" cabs on. Lot's of blind spots!

Then there was Brown's crummy. Old bread truck with a plank down each side to sit on. I don't even think it had any windows.

Last edited:

camptramp

Occupation
Hakan A. CZ Nitinat Div. The Winter of 1968 - 1969 , I remember going back to work in middle of March 1969 , Pulling Rigging in Granite Creek at Port Renfrew , snow was up to my chest , had shovels to dig down to find logs .Image032.jpg