• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crane pads

cuslog

I see where "crane pads" have come up for discussion a couple times here.
Thought I'd post up photos of ones that I like -- I made these myself, for my 20 Tonne Clark R/T.
I've had a couple of scary experiences with inadequate pads and / or soft footing, so I'm more than a little cautious about my pads -- these have worked quite well (so far):rolleyes:.
These are 3 layers of Douglas Fir 2 x 6 Tongue & Groove lumber criss-crossed, with 3/4" Fir plywood top and bottom.
36" diameter. Each and every layer heavily glued (sub-floor adhesive) and heavily nailed.
They're about 70 - 80 lbs ea. but roll around quite nicely
For moving some distance around a yard, I either just roll them or hang them on the back of the crane by ratchet straps. For roading it, I put a longer strap through the handles (both sides) and lift all 4 onto my front deck and tie them down.
Hope this helps someone.
Howard
PICT0014.JPGPICT0015.JPG

cuslog

36" dia. is probably "Overkill" for a 20 Tonne on asphalt or concrete 99% of the time -- but for that 1% of the time when there's a soft spot hiding under the surface.:eek: